8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
11,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Engine completely upto the temperature (all bars lit up)
2. Correct engine oil level
3. Oil Life more than 10%
4. Correct tyre pressure, is helpful

Anything else you guys do ?

or

Do you guys just hit and run ?

:vtec:

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Depends on the situation. I have found myself needing that extra oompf to get up to speed before my car is fully warmed up... But in general, it needs to be operating temp before I will exceed 6k.

·
Registered
11,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also have to make sure....theres no SRT 4,350z, Sti, Camaro SS,G35,Ford Lightning SVT....around.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Before entering the vtec zone i put a helmet on, full fire suit, and say goodbye to my kids. Okay actually I dont do anything, its not that big of a deal.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
nayilsi said:
1. Engine completely upto the temperature (all bars lit up)
2. Correct engine oil level
3. Oil Life more than 10%
4. Correct tyre pressure, is helpful

Anything else you guys do ?

or

Do you guys just hit and run ?

:vtec:
Everything is copacetic in your list. A motor should be properly warmed up-water temp and oil temp should be stabilized before running any motor hard. A motor is really not any different from a person or an animal.

You never see cats bolt away right after waking up from a nap. They stretch first. People do the same before exercising hard. A motor when cold does not provide as good an oil flow as it does when warmed up. The key is ensuring that the parts will receive proper lubrication. Also, it helps when the metal parts are in synch with each other.

I don't know if you have noticed that the transmission in the Si is a little grunchy-grindy and crunchy when cold. After it warms up, it becomes smooth as silk, but until then, it can be just a little bit cantankerous. I guess I try to treat my motor like I would my own body. Be good to it and it will be good to you.

·
Registered
11,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Doeboy211 said:
Before entering the vtec zone i put a helmet on, full fire suit, and say goodbye to my kids. Okay actually I dont do anything, its not that big of a deal.
lmao....

and the post above made me google 2wice...with his GRE words.

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
I hate it when people post threads like this... you make it seem like the other cam profile is the best thing to ever happen to an engine. You also make it seem like the car is so delicate that if one of those things aren't perfect the car will blow up. It's not a big deal you make it seem like you are preparing for warp drive or something crazy.

Will this void my warranty?
Will this blow up my engine?
do I have to wait 600 miles before I "HIT" vtec?
Will the dealer know if I hit VTEC?

I'm starting to get bitter on here reading these threads.

Reactions: TOMMIELOEKO

·
Registered
749 Posts
make sure your transmission comes up to temp too, don't want to pop/grind/misshift gears, usually this takes longer than your engine.
:thumb:

·
Registered
8,292 Posts
Chase said:
I hate it when people post threads like this... you make it seem like the other cam profile is the best thing to ever happen to an engine. You also make it seem like the car is so delicate that if one of those things aren't perfect the car will blow up. It's not a big deal you make it seem like you are preparing for warp drive or something crazy.

REP+1 thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Chase said:

Rep for you. The K20Z3 is not fragile. It will not explode if you redline it before it is fully warmed. It will undoubtedly last hundreds of thousands of miles driven hard just like other Honda engines will. Posts like this are crazy.. I drove my car hard from day 1. No break-in, I change the oil when the oil life is at 5%. My car is fine. Just like I have done all my other cars which have also all been fine.

Get over it guys.. the Si is a great car but it is not fragile and VTEC is just a cam profile.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
yeah ^ and people please understand that the Si still makes a good deal of Torque on the low speed cam as well the main thing you feel is the spike causes a good feeling for a second or so.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
I just make sure my oil isn't dangerously low. Something you'd do normally anyway. Other than that, I just make sure I have a clear path, and I'm off!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts