8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi guys my buddy just gave me his PPIX2400 amp.. i was lookin at it and there is 2 sets of power and ground connections....

now my question is.. do i need to hook up both of the power and grounds to get the amp to turn on?

please help i want to install this on the weekend and i want to make sure i dont need the other power ground to be connected

·
Registered
75 Posts
I do beleive that you need both of them. this amp requires a lot of power. I know you can find them on ebay every so often.

Jason

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
"my buddy just gave me his PPIX2400 amp"
Just gave you.....awesome deal for you lol.

So that amp does 400rms x 2

Looking at the provided pictures it looks like it only has one Ground terminal and one Power terminal as the other terminals are for hooking speakers up to.

The wierd part is I see THREE speaker terminals....I have never seen that amp before so I don't know much but from looking at it, this is what I see.

Manual here
http://www.precisionpower.com/Manua...r_PCX Series 2125, 2200 & 2400 Amplifiers.pdf

Aftrer looking at the manual, what I thought to be speaker terminals is in fact the power and ground (Page 8 on manual) so I have NO idea what that thing is where I say Power/Ground Terminals....weird amp, lol.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
actually they are both power and ground plugs.. im just missing one of the conectors.. the speaker plug in is on the other end of this amp.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
actually they are both power and ground plugs.. im just missing one of the conectors.. the speaker plug in is on the other end of this amp.
That makes sense as in the manual it shows some plug thing, I've never seen an amp that uses that.

You do want to hook up both power and grounds though :)

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
No worries man!

The wierd thing is most amps under say 2500rms don't have dual inputs like this one....it's kind of wierd really as this does 1600rms @ 4ohm mono with 160a fuse (good sign) I had a 2krms amp (Helix Dark Blue) and it only had one input mind you it could accept 0awg.

You might be ok but usually they have two because you need two, can you fit 0awg wire to the terminal? If you can only fit say 6 or 4awg then two is needed for sure but if 0awg fits then this amp is wierdly designed.

One guy I know ran only half of his 3k bassworx amp and his had dual inputs and it ran fine but I don't know if I can recommend it

My amp is 5750rms @ 1ohm and I have dual inputs for 0awg that I HAVE to use, Im only going for 2ohms this time around though :)

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
woooow... hmm ill give it a shot then..
and i think the 0awg fits ill look into it... when i photobucket searched it there was only one pic of the amp someone posted and they had one set hooked up.. i can link u the photo later when i get off work or if u look it up it will show.. thanks again

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
It depends on how its wired internally. It may be two separate mono amps (like a Hifonics Collossus), with a separate power & ground connection for each. If thats the case, the other side won't power up with just one connection hooked up (the only way to do it would be to jumper off the one input). However, if the inputs are tied into one another, both sides would power up with one input. This will be easy to figure out if you hook up just one input, then test both channel's speaker outs for signal. If one is hot and the other is dead, then clearly you need both inputs (or a jumper). If both channels work, the inputs are summed. You would still want to use both inputs for current draw purposes (if it really is an A/B stereo amp, its going to be drawing a fair bit of current with that much output - they are much less efficient than class D woofer amps), but it will work at lower volumes/higher impedances with a single connection.

Hope that makes sense.

Hans

1 - 13 of 13 Posts