8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the mad journey. 2009 Civic EX sedan. Front passenger window stopped working from the drivers control, would occasionally work from the passenger control switch. Window motor tested fine. Replaced master switch with a product from "The Switch Doctor". Didn't fix the issue right off then for 6 months or so all windows worked fine. Then wife and I went shopping and returned to the car and put the windows down. A few miles up the road got on the highway so tried to put the windows up. Both front driver and passenger window would not operate. I ended up putting both windows up by applying power to the motors. I contacted "The Switch Doctor" and they immediately provided a new drivers door main switch. ( Great Customer Service !!! ). But, upon installation both front windows remained dead. I then put my original Honda main switch back in and sure enough I was back where I started with only the passenger front not working.
I have looked at MANY "wiring diagrams" and none of them match my main switch connector so very difficult to troubleshoot.If anyone out there has the real pinout definition of that connector would be appreciated.
Also a question....the drivers side motor really only needs the two connections that the passenger window has, why are there 5 or six additional small gauge wires connected as well ?

Thanks in advance !!!!! As a new member I am hoping the 8th gen forum has a solution !!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually changed the under dash window relay just in case when I first lost both front windows. I have not "reset" the system, I will give this a try, and thanks for the website !!
How can I do step #2 if the window doesn't work ?
2.Move the driver's window all the way down by using the driver's window DOWN switch.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The underdash fuse/relay box is more than just a fusebox. It is basically what other OEMs call a "body computer". Honda calls it the Mulitplex Integrated Control Unit (MICU) and it controls a whole slew of things including the power windows. My limited understanding of how it works is that it allows multiple signals to be sent over the same set of wires. So you have a "smart" power window motor looking for a signal from the MICU to be able to do various functions.

Having said that, when the MICU has issues, weird things can happen. For example, my son's 2006 Civic had a bad MICU the first showed up with the overhead light not coming on when the rear driver's door was opened. Every other door was fine, but that door switch would not turn on the light. I figured it was a bad wire somewhere and didn't worry about it. Then, the immobilizer died (there is a TSB on it) and the underdash fuse/relay box had to be replaced. Magically, that door switch started working again.

So, it seems like weird things can happen when the MICU is involved. I'm thinking you may need to find someone to read any codes that may have been set.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts