8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HP/Liter means nothing to me. Sure you can have a civic with 100 hp/Liter but it still doesn't mean it will win a race.

Power to weight. EX- 140/2700 SI- 200/2800-2900

Physics- Civics are FWD and nose heavy. As far as acceleration... these are inherently bad qualities, making weight transfer difficult, and traction also difficult.

FWD also creates the problem of torque steer.

Everyone getting a turbo kit will definitely realize these problems.

How do we overcome these problems? I really dont know other than trying an S2000 drivetrain swap.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
dryerlint88 said:
HP/Liter means nothing to me. Sure you can have a civic with 100 hp/Liter but it still doesn't mean it will win a race.

Power to weight. EX- 140/2700 SI- 200/2800-2900

Physics- Civics are FWD and nose heavy. As far as acceleration... these are inherently bad qualities, making weight transfer difficult, and traction also difficult.

FWD also creates the problem of torque steer.

Everyone getting a turbo kit will definitely realize these problems.

How do we overcome these problems? I really dont know other than trying an S2000 drivetrain swap.
Ill bet that most Si owners new this before buying the car, which is why we are not on a Mustang or 4WD forum.:chill:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the nose heavy part plays into the civic's strong point..... handling.

the rest is just for overall performance.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
I just think the civic is a more handling focused car rather than a straight line i.e. our LSD to help reduce torque steer, brake aid deflectors and stiffer than regular suspension. other than that the turbocharger can make this car go. You could (god this is tough to say) look at the MazdaSpeed 3 which had computer control on some of the gears to help cope with the turbo and power.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was not wanting to discuss this as a "well if you want speed go buy ____" debate, but merely as a way for us to achieve whatever speed quota we have.

or maybe we should all experience Rondoism. (sorry but this commercial for the Kia Rondo is driving me insane)

Also, if i ever have the time and money, my Civic might go RWD!

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
dryerlint88 said:
How do we overcome these problems?
practice, skill, research, and a little bit of faith in your car maybe?:wavey:

At first ppl didn't like the drive by wire. but with upgrades, and practice, cars such as the STI were able to overcome the problems associated therein.

I can't stand having a car w/ VSA, but with a little bit of research in the manual, I learned how to turn it off.

Heel-toe with our cars is a PITA!!! But again, with some research, skills learned from practice, and racing schools I've learned how to overcome.

Having a 2.0L car w/ 250whp isn't much, especially when compared to a Z06, 350Z, or an STI, but if you have a capable driver, who knows his car, how to drive, and has a little bit of faith in the "Anything can happen in a race" theory, then you'll have a powerful opponent on your hands.

"Problems are only opportunities in work clothes."
-Henry Kaiser

"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
-Joshua J. Marine

"It's not the car that's the beast. It's the driver." -Ryouske Takahashi (Initial D)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes but you cant beat a C6 Z06 around a track in an SI with equal drivers. However.... when you modify your SI... you can level the playing field.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
dryerlint88 said:
Yes but you cant beat a C6 Z06 around a track in an SI with equal drivers. However.... when you modify your SI... you can level the playing field.
In pure truth, there is nothing you can do to the civic other than making it an entirely new car if both driver skills are equal from the Civic vs. Z06 standpoint. It will produce more power, use grip better, and is more track tuned than our car.

What you might do to change that is to make the car RWD, which requires money. Widen the rear track for grip, then turbo. Which is futile, unless you really do have money to throw at people for the sake of watching them bustle about like cannibals.

Solution: "You shoulda bought something else".

That said, I also think our cars are made to "handle" rather than go speed. The horsepower we have is nice, but of course, not as much as some of our competitors. But, our car's are a blast to drive, as I can attest to everyday. That high RPM/low displacement almost makes it feel more primal than other cars.

·
Registered
301 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the Si as is. There's absolutely no reason an Si should be racing a Vette anyway. There are car classes for a reason. This comparing of the Si to Vette's and Sti's is getting rediculous...

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Why are you comparing a $20k car to a $80k car. Oh, ill bet that Smart car is slower on the track than a Mustang Gt too.:police:

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
rickhilbert said:
Or the Smart with a Hayabusa engine...you smart ass j/k:lildevil:
yeah man that thing flies....but i'd rather have a stock smart with hydos....

pull up. stop park. rims still spinnin'.:pimp:

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
does it not help us that being front wheel drive and the motor being up front help traction. thats why rear wheel drive cars cant get traction off the line. plus we have a lower horsepower transfer loss too. no one has brought this up and was just curious y.

vette vs si.:rotfl:

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
GlxyGry06Si said:
does it not help us that being front wheel drive and the motor being up front help traction. thats why rear wheel drive cars cant get traction off the line. plus we have a lower horsepower transfer loss too. no one has brought this up and was just curious y.

vette vs si.:rotfl:
It only helps traction as long as you have actual grip on the tires and are going straight. As the tires lose consistency, you will loose steering power and braking power. Not a good thing. But, conversely, a typical Porsche has a large amount of grip because the engine sits BEHIND the rear axle, pushing the back of the car down, while the front tires are free to guide and steer the car.

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
I know I'll probably get flamed for this, but IMO the FWD/RWD thing is overrated. Go F/I and you'll be able to beat most cars no matter what wheels they use to go. I actually prefer FWD over RWD since its much easier to drive in the Chicago winters. :thumb:

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
jpik2003 said:
I know I'll probably get flamed for this, but IMO the FWD/RWD thing is overrated. Go F/I and you'll be able to beat most cars no matter what wheels they use to go. I actually prefer FWD over RWD since its much easier to drive in the Chicago winters. :thumb:
:flame: <---- you

1 - 20 of 32 Posts