8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is weird, the power steering in my 06 Si went out the other night. This is my 3rd winter with this car and I've never had a problem with the power steering before. As soon as I started up the car, I turned the wheel a little and it locked up right away. I turned off the car, restarted it, and it's worked fine. I have 28,000 miles on my car and I really hope if there is a problem it will happen before my warranty is up.

[Edit] It wasn't even that cold outside, maybe 30 F and my car is stock (but I do have an HID kit, but I doubt that affects my electrical power steering).

·
Premium Member
13,468 Posts
it might, the hid's do interfeare with electronics, you can add a relay to buffer this. like i get interferance on my radio for about 5-6sec. after turning the hid's on... bolth my headlights and foglights.???

but it goes away, so theres no telling what it might mess up... but this is the first i've herd of someone losing powersteering...

This is why i got extended. i never used to buy the first year of a car, but for my Si i made a exception... i got the 5 years extended. just incase, and helps resale if its a lemon, and i think i found a lemony taising fluid on my driveway if you know what i mean...

·
Registered
970 Posts
I'm coming upon 50,000 miles, and several times in recent months the EPS indicator came on at startup and I had no power steering. My Si is electrically unmolested, my biggest "mod" are the four winter steelies with element wheel covers which has nothing to do with the EPS indicator. No codes to diagnose. Restarting resets the system.

Bottom line - intermittent failed POST. Of minor worry, but until it's not intermittent, *IMPOSSIBLE* to diagnose.

Electric Power Steering (EPS) Indicator
This indicator normally comes on when you turn the ignition switch to the ON (II) position and goes off after the engine starts. If it comes on at any other time, there is a problem in the electric power steering system. If this happens, stop the vehicle in a safe place, and turn off the engine. Reset the system by restarting the engine. [emphasis mine] The indicator will not turn off immediately. If it does not go off after driving a short distance, or comes back on again while driving, take the vehicle to your dealer to have it checked. [emphasis mine] With the indicator on, the EPS may be off, making the vehicle harder to steer.

If you turn the steering wheel to the full left or right repeatedly while stopping or driving at very low speed, you may feel slightly harder steering due to overheating of the steering gear box.

Continuously driving under those conditions could damage the power steering system.
-mr. bill

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.