8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 Si with 15K miles. I am getting a squeal when I turn hard going low. Sounds like a power steering squeal. My first instinct was to go under the hood and check the power steering fluid, then I found out we have electric steering and no fluid. Anyone else have this problem? Is this bad lol? I plan on hitting up the dealer soon.
-Jon

·
Registered
613 Posts
i don't know what the sound is by reading this thread but from what i know this usually means the power steering pump is going bad.. happened to my truck i had last, happened to my friends car.. like i said, if its what i'm thinking about. add fluid as soon as possible i wouldn't wait to take it to the dealer. if it blows there will be black fluid all over the inside of the engine compartment. nothing that will harm the car but it still sucks.. let us know the outcome

*please note: by no means am i an expert in auto mechanics. i tinker with cars a lot but never went to school for them so don't take my word as 100% fact

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i don't know what the sound is by reading this thread but from what i know this usually means the power steering pump is going bad.. happened to my truck i had last, happened to my friends car.. like i said, if its what i'm thinking about. add fluid as soon as possible i wouldn't wait to take it to the dealer. if it blows there will be black fluid all over the inside of the engine compartment. nothing that will harm the car but it still sucks.. let us know the outcome

*please note: by no means am i an expert in auto mechanics. i tinker with cars a lot but never went to school for them so don't take my word as 100% fact
I do not think there is power steering fluid in an Si. I did not see it anywhere under the hood, and the manual talks about filling power steering fluid but it says (all but si). It seems like we have an electric power steering system which is completely new to me lol.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Not at all. I own a dealership , So I know. I have the pump and it is under mydesk for over 6 months now. So, no I am not whoring. It could be the fluid, but to be safe I would always change the item if it has been happening for a while. wear and tear due to a minor malfunction could lead to a bigger problem.

I have it here, It is not like I need to get rid of it.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I got the noise when I turn my steering wheel also
I have this problem too. Can anyone shed some light on this problem....

I bought it to the dealer and the honda technician said it was normal since he test drove 2 new Si on the lot. But he told me that if the problem gets worse, just bring it back to him.

·
Premium Member
37,357 Posts
Perhaps you have a loose belt elsewhere?

The SI does not use a belt driven, hydraulic system with a pump. It's not new technology for Honda even if it is for our cars. They first used the system on the NSX in the late 90's. I did a bit of searching on the internet to back this up and the most informative article I could find showing a break down of the EPS is this Honda Worldwide | World News | News Release | July 2, 1997, it is a 1997 Hondaworld.com article on the NSX's EPS system when it was new to them.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.