8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my car in for an oil change today. I typically do it myself, but wanted to have them check everything out to put my mind at ease.

Sure enough, there's a power steering leak that I need to get taken care of. I saw one other person mention having the same problem. Has this been somewhat common?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Skyline said:
Took my car in for an oil change today. I typically do it myself, but wanted to have them check everything out to put my mind at ease.

Sure enough, there's a power steering leak that I need to get taken care of. I saw one other person mention having the same problem. Has this been somewhat common?
My '06 LX sedan had a power-steering fluid leak, too. Canadian built.
Leaked on my garage floor at something like 550 miles on the odometer.

My Honda dealer fixed it under warrenty--it was an "elbow joint" near the power steernig pump (right-front side of the car) and after the repair was done the service person at the Honda dealership said to me:

"Honda has told us to keep an eye out for that."

-Glenn in CT

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yup, I got the same problem as well. The dealer service guy told me about it when I got my oil change over there. Right now I dont have a problem with it, but later I would have to get it check again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I also got the same problem for my LX (US built). What will be the possibe problems if the power steering leak is not being fixed?

GlennS said:
My '06 LX sedan had a power-steering fluid leak, too. Canadian built.
Leaked on my garage floor at something like 550 miles on the odometer.

My Honda dealer fixed it under warrenty--it was an "elbow joint" near the power steernig pump (right-front side of the car) and after the repair was done the service person at the Honda dealership said to me:

"Honda has told us to keep an eye out for that."

-Glenn in CT

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took my '06 Civic EX in today for the replacement steering rack the dealer said was bad. Aside from the fact the dealer screwed me on my appointment, they called me to say it "was a bigger job than they they thought" and "should" be ready on Monday. I've been looking thru the posts here and have seen many references to problems with this generations power steering. I've sent a letter off to Honda America regarding my concerns of the dealers inability to schedule a repair effectively and more importantly the leaking of the power steering rack at 20,000 miles. I am concerned that I will be struggling with this issue to the point I have to invoke my states lemon law. I had an '04 Civic with no problems but I feel we all will be test beds for this new generation

·
Registered
161 Posts
power steering leak

Sunroro said:
I also got the same problem for my LX (US built). What will be the possibe problems if the power steering leak is not being fixed?
Well for one thing your garage floor/driveway will have a large messy puddle of power steering fluid. You will loose P.S. and turning especially at low speeds will be difficult. The power steering pump may be damaged to the point it will need replaced...enough?? More? the bottom floorpan of your car will be coated with a pint or two of PS fluid if you drive when it leaks. So why not get it fixed especially under warranty. By the way there has been a Honda service bulletin issued for this problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i also have a leak in my 2006 civic 1.8 81000km but its in the pipe of the fluid there is a very tiny hone in the pipe of the power steering oil . i need to know how to change the pipe or is there an other way to fix that leak

·
Registered
118 Posts
when i took my car for the first oil change, they said there was power steering leak...but when took the car in the next day for the tech to look at, he said it was engine oil leak because one of the bolts was manufactured incorrectly.

Honda manufacturing/build quality has surely gone down.....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Power Steering rack replacement at 6k

I had to have my 07 Sedan AT steering rack replaced at 6k due to a leak,
no puddle on my garage floor though, just very low fluild.Took the dealership
2 days to repair...

Just had my a/c recharged under warranty, was half pound low, they cant
find a leak even with the dye...

My 5th gen civic with 145k had almost no issues with repairs except a blower motor resistor $30 and 02 [email protected] $60, both of which i replaced myself....

my 3yr 36 warranty expires in 8k....

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's the power steering o-ring that's bad. There's a recall on this part number for the Accord, but not Civics (funny huh?), even though they have the same bad part. This same bad part is on multiple types of Hondas and Acuras. I have seen this fail on 2 Accords (I4 and V6) Check this out and replace your o-ring today. There's nothing wrong with the power steering pump. It's the darn o-ring. http://www.arcreman.com/attachments/...nda_07-086.pdf

·
Registered
11 Posts
I took my '06 Civic EX in today for the replacement steering rack the dealer said was bad. Aside from the fact the dealer screwed me on my appointment, they called me to say it "was a bigger job than they they thought" and "should" be ready on Monday. I've been looking thru the posts here and have seen many references to problems with this generations power steering. I've sent a letter off to Honda America regarding my concerns of the dealers inability to schedule a repair effectively and more importantly the leaking of the power steering rack at 20,000 miles. I am concerned that I will be struggling with this issue to the point I have to invoke my states lemon law. I had an '04 Civic with no problems but I feel we all will be test beds for this new generation
Omg aren't you special. Have you ever been to a dentist or a doctor's appt. Have you ever been sick and didn't go to work. When you were off work sick did the customer write a letter saying you can't get sick or you don't know how to meet your objectives. Definitely a loose nut behind the wheel wish you were my customer Ever try and get a eye appt for cataracts..60 days out. If I told you couldn't work on your car for 60 days..who would you right a letter too. Wish you were my customer. Dealers make a mistake on your car they fix it. Doctors make a mistake they bury you 6 ft under and don't care

1 - 16 of 16 Posts