8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, this is my first post and was wondering if any of you knowledgeable members have any insight to my problem
This evening I lost all of my power steering fluid at once. I will try to see what went wrong tomorrow with some daylight. My question would be, is it possible to bypass the power steering pump on my 2007 civic dx without a/c. A shorter belt maybe? I’m not looking to spend money on the car as it’s my winter ride while the 10th gen SI is parked.
Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Looking at some diagrams the PS pump is the rear most pulley. The only way I see it working is if the belt runs from the crank pulley to the alternator. The tensioner pulley would then press down on the belt. I don't know if it has the range to get enough tension on the belt.

To get a new belt length just route some string how the new belt would go and then measure it. You can buy a belt that is close to the needed length and try fitting it up. If it doesnt work then just return the belt.

Honestly the problem is probably a hose has burst. Luckly the parts are really cheap on rock auto if you are willing to replace them yourself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your feedback and diagram. I replaced the power steering rack a few years ago. So I too am hoping it’s just a hose. It started at as a drip leak on my brand new driveway and then a complete burst just before I did the maze drivethru at McDonalds, that was fun!
Looking at some diagrams the PS pump is the rear most pulley. The only way I see it working is if the belt runs from the crank pulley to the alternator. The tensioner pulley would then press down on the belt. I don't know if it has the range to get enough tension on the belt.

To get a new belt length just route some string how the new belt would go and then measure it. You can buy a belt that is close to the needed length and try fitting it up. If it doesnt work then just return the belt. View attachment 241905

Honestly the problem is probably a hose has burst. Luckly the parts are really cheap on rock auto if you are willing to replace them yourself.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you don't give a dam just drive it without the fluid in it. Everything stays the same, pump wont work after a while but i know someone personally 4 winters in with no fluid in his system, its a straight beater though

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you don't give a dam just drive it without the fluid in it. Everything stays the same, pump wont work after a while but i know someone personally 4 winters in with no fluid in his system, its a straight beater though
I 100% don’t give a damn. I’ll go without the power steering. I’m was just concerned about the internals of the pump burning up and blowing up the pulley and subsequently losing the serpentine belt

I found the cause. Turns out it was the Steel return line that sits on top of the subframe beside the rack. A small pin hole. 10 dollar hose from local parts store

thanks for your input

1 - 7 of 7 Posts