8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Power mods or swapping r18

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  FD7683 
#1 ·
Hi I have a 2006 civic lx I've owned for 3 years and I own the car and am really attached to it. Yes I regret not getting an si but I was 17 and didn't know anything about cars at the time. My engine is finally starting to go at almost 400k km. I've wanted to do power mods for the last year and I don't wanna waste my money just for the engine to blow so I thought about swapping for a k20 or k24 but after some research I found you pretty much need to find an si that's been rear ended to swap the engine because so many parts are different. So I'm wondering if I should swap in another r18 and do some power mods or get a k20/24 and have to deal with the hassle of swapping it. Any advice would help. Thank you

#3 ·
If you have the luxury to buy an Si while replacing the R18 engine to keep both worlds then I would do that if you want. Right now i'm looking for Si sedans on Facebook Marketplace and don't plan to get rid of my 2006 EX.

R18 = Daily
K20 = Toy Car but could be daily too.

#4 ·
Really wish I could keep it and have an si as well unfortunately I have alot of bills already and my insurance is pretty high so over time I'd stress myself out owning 2 cars. But I appreciate the suggestion. Another issue of getting an si where I live is they are pretty expensive and there's not alot of them on the used market which is why I wanted to do a swap also because its alot cheaper as well compared to getting an si. Also whenever there is an si that pops up in a range I could afford it would be in not the greatest condition and with more kms than I'd like I don't want to run into this situation again where I don't wanna do power mods because the engine had already lived a long life who knows how much longer it will have especially with mods.

#5 ·
Yeah I do understand. My chances of getting a real Si would be low as a college student so I make the best of what I have and mod my car just for handling reasons. Either way I don't speed because I don't like getting pulled over lol. The R18 is pretty quick on stop and go traffic and for me thats enough. The only engine mod my car will receive is the lightweight pulleys and maybe the throttle spacer.

I heard the subframe from the Si has to be swapped over to the EX and also a lot more stuff so it really is a challenge to tackle but the reward is really nice if it's done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.