8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, this might sound stupid, but the powder coater has about the same work hours as i do, so i can't take my car to him. Are the center caps for the stock 07 SI wheels plastic or metal? i'm planning on getting my wheels re-powdercoated and i was wondering if anyone had done that and knew. if they are plastic, any suggestions on types of paint to use on them?

thanks guys

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
if you do powder coat your wheels, just an fyi, let them cure completely, you will have to wait a white so they don't peel or chip when someone goes to mount a tire on them. I have ruined the finish of peoples wheels before because they brought their wheels in a day after they were powder coated. I made sure they were fully aware that it would happen, and they said do it. Just so you know so it doesn't happen to you.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
i asked a powder coating place in town about this actually just recently for one of my customers. They said you will have to try to match it to the best your ability, if you want to stay with the plastic ones. going for the metal cap aspect, it would be really easy to do yourself. Go to like Home Depot and get a piece of like 16/18 gauge metal (no idea if that is right haha) and trace your cap out on it. Cut it out, and then you could actually just get some silicone to hold it in.

Now you are probably wondering how to get it out when you are balancing and stuff? Easy, the silicon will just peel out like glue and then you just re due, and the silicon is cheap, real cheap. That makes that idea actually plausible.

·
Registered
15,996 Posts
great thread, but does anybody know the cost(ball-park) of what it will cost per-wheel or for all four?...thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i recently got a quote in central cali (san luis obispo) for $40 per wheel to strip and recoat, but they don't specialize in rims and he basically said it's not what they do and although they normally don't, they might screw up. i got a quote from a guy who does wheels all the time and does it very well, and just the recoating of an already stripped wheel was $60 per wheel. so i guess the answer is that it varies.

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Mine was $90 per wheel, plus $65 for a custom coat.

The thing is you don't want to go cheap on powdercoating a rim, IMO. They need to have experience and know-how. I chose my place (e-tech) because of the lower-temp baking (300 deg).

Ideally, the place will put an outgassing primer in addition to the color, in order to protect the little bubbles that form in the baking process.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
normal going price for the best power coater in MN is around like $175 a wheel. but that is top notch quality that you won't have to worry about anything.

Also, don't look for someone to sell a metal center cap because it will be way over priced, do it yourself first for like $5 and if you can't, then find someone to do it.

·
Quail Man!
28,296 Posts
normal going price for the best power coater in MN is around like $175 a wheel. but that is top notch quality that you won't have to worry about anything.

Also, don't look for someone to sell a metal center cap because it will be way over priced, do it yourself first for like $5 and if you can't, then find someone to do it.
can you do it?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
can i do what? powder coat or the whole center cap thing?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
i can make them easily because i have a crap ton of templates haha we are talking the factory lugs right? i will see if my friend at a machine shop can make a thicker one so that it will be more durable and stronger. Less flimsy is good haha. Are you really interested? Cause if not, I'm not going to waste the favor my friend owes me :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts