8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, new to the forum obviously. Well I am considering buying an 06 Civic si. I researched and noticed the 3rd gear issue. So when I went to test drive the car, sure enough, it popped out of 3rd gear. I called the honda dealer and they said that it was a TSB and only covered to 36000 miles (This car is at 36800). So I was gonna say no. However, I thought the powertrain warranty was 5 years or 60k miles. So I believe it should be covered free of charge.

Basically, I am just asking those of you who have had your 3rd gear "fixed" according to the TSB if it actually fixed the problem or if it just returned shortly after.

Cliffs notes:

Does manufacture warranty cover the 3rd gear problem?
Does the "fix" actually fix the problem or does it come back shortly after? i cant seem to find a straight forward answer to this question.

Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I would stay away from civics for awhile. To many damn little creaks, squeaks, 3rd gear problems, etc, etc. I have a 07 SI and 07 LX and had pretty good luck with the LX but SI is a little more troublesome. I just think the Civics engineering and quality has gone way down.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Hi guys, new to the forum obviously. Well I am considering buying an 06 Civic si. I researched and noticed the 3rd gear issue. So when I went to test drive the car, sure enough, it popped out of 3rd gear. I called the honda dealer and they said that it was a TSB and only covered to 36000 miles (This car is at 36800). So I was gonna say no. However, I thought the powertrain warranty was 5 years or 60k miles. So I believe it should be covered free of charge.

Basically, I am just asking those of you who have had your 3rd gear "fixed" according to the TSB if it actually fixed the problem or if it just returned shortly after.

Cliffs notes:

Does manufacture warranty cover the 3rd gear problem?
Does the "fix" actually fix the problem or does it come back shortly after? i cant seem to find a straight forward answer to this question.

Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!
It should be covered under the powertrain warranty. Is car at a Honda dealer? I would tell them to fix the issue then you can test it and see if it meets your standards.
Most people on this board have been ok after having the 3rd gear fix, there have been a few that have had it return. Personally I would go for it

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
Most people who had the fix haven't had any issues returned.

I, however, as well as several others on this forum, have had third gear issues come right back as though nothing happened...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It should be covered under the powertrain warranty. Is car at a Honda dealer? I would tell them to fix the issue then you can test it and see if it meets your standards.
Most people on this board have been ok after having the 3rd gear fix, there have been a few that have had it return. Personally I would go for it
The car is actually at a ford dealer haha. I dont think they will fix it first before I buy it. I could ask i guess

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Your buying the car "As-Is" and it will no longer be covered since it has a 3YR warranty drivetrain coverage. If it's a 06, that car is done unless you buy a HONDA at their dealership "USED" lot. Agian, my 3rd gear was fixed and had no issues of popping it back out ever- problem solved.

·
Hidy Ho Neighbor
29,707 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Your buying the car "As-Is" and it will no longer be covered since it has a 3YR warranty drivetrain coverage. If it's a 06, that car is done unless you buy a HONDA at their dealership "USED" lot. Agian, my 3rd gear was fixed and had no issues of popping it back out ever- problem solved.
how is this the case if the car is covered by a 5yr/60k power train warranty? this is transferable to another owner as well.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
It is transferable if you are buying at a Dealership if FORD is willing to service it (Ford with Honda tech. certified) or Ford might send you to a Honda to service the drivetrain. I have mine extended with 10yr/100,000 miles. There's the 3YR, the 5YR, and the 10YR. Is the 5YR the extended warranty on the car you are looking at? Mine is also Honda Certified, which I paid alittle more for. Well, best way is to talk to the dealership and ask all you can before you make the big purchase.

·
Registered
811 Posts
^ What bouncer said. Go into your local Honda dealer and ask them if they will still cover it. Chances are they wont, but may be able to find you another Si in the Honda network which may save you some hassle. Taking a car from one dealership to a different one for warranty work always stirs up some hassle.

·
Registered
418 Posts
in regards to "factory" warranties, the 3/36000 is bumper to bumper, 5/60000 is powertrain and is covered wherever you buy it. doesnt matter if you bought it from your neighbor....a factory warranty is just that a warranty from the FACTORY.

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
I would stay away from civics for awhile. To many damn little creaks, squeaks, 3rd gear problems, etc, etc. I have a 07 SI and 07 LX and had pretty good luck with the LX but SI is a little more troublesome. I just think the Civics engineering and quality has gone way down.
Great post. I personally would consider another car over the Si. Matter of fact, if I were to buy an 8th gen today I would more than likely pick up an R18 before I bought the Si just because of the transmission issues that are impossible to predict due to how sporadic it is.

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
get 08! if you like the older style but if your ok with the new corky style imo get the 09 its like almost perfect with near to no problems
Minus the growing number of 2009 owners who are mentioning gear-related issues...

It's still a problem if even a few people are complaining about it.

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
get 08! if you like the older style but if your ok with the new corky style imo get the 09 its like almost perfect with near to no problems
Well to be fair the reason we haven't heard about many problems with the 09's is because they haven't been out for long enough. That being said there has already been more than one (IIRC) person complain about the transmission in their 09's.

This problem isn't going away. I would think that if Honda cared to fix it they would've done it with the RSX-S or the Si when it first came out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well the ford dealer just called me and said that honda would fix it free of charge so that is cool.

But i am still hesitant to buy it. What do you guys think? I mean its my first car that I am taking a loan out for and its 15k, not exactly cheap. What would you guys do?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
well to be fair the reason we haven't heard about many problems with the 09's is because they haven't been out for long enough. That being said there has already been more than one (iirc) person complain about the transmission in their 09's.

This problem isn't going away. I would think that if honda cared to fix it they would've done it with the rsx-s or the si when it first came out.
:1:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.