8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a search and cannot seem to find some close up pics of the skunk2 shifter after it has been installed. If anyone has any pics of this installed could you please post them up.

I'm looking to buy the skunk2 shift knob for my 5spd EX, but i dont know how well it fits with the stock boot. Also on a scale of 1-10 how easy install is. 10 being hardest.

thanks

·
Registered
767 Posts
I have it for my 2007 as well. I noticed the added weight of the skunk2 shift knob to really help with a better throw. Also if installed properly the height of it is much lower than the stock knob. The only problem when installing the skunk2 knob is when it has reached the max being screwed down, the numbers do not align straight...This is the tricky part, basically go put on some heavy duty winter gloves and be prepared to twist like you've never twisted before to align it. Difficulty 0/10 for the initial screw down but to align it properly is not difficult it just takes alot of patience and strength

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
I just got it not too long ago
Its the best looking knob I've bought and I've bought many

I believe on all models except the Si, it does NOT clip to the boot. You have to get a new boot. And even then it doesn't attach together. I believe you'd need to get the OEM Si clip ring to make it attach together.

regarding installation.. its not necessary to twist extremely hard to get it to turn out straight.
theres a locking nut that you turn. twist it on first.. then twist the knob on.. when it gets to the bottom and the numbers don't turn out straight, simply twist the knob off a bit (not completely) and adjust the nut.. then twist the knob to test if the numbers turned out straight.
Repeat until numbers come out straight instead of raping the threads.

·
Registered
767 Posts
If you use the nut, the knob will be to high and the boot will not reach the bottom of the knob for a flush look. I will take a picture of mine and show you what it looks like if you put the extra effort into twisting harder

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
but by twisting harder.. you're wrecking the thread on the knob and on the stick.. which is not good.
theres a reason to use the nut.. and if you refuse to use it, then screw it down to the point that its snug.. but no need to jam it on there.
I have it on without the nut as well, and i put it on so it only twisted if force was put on it.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
To make it align properly all you guys have to do is fill the knob with little pieces of sponge(same sponge that the knob came in) and that way you can twisted and make it turn out straight.. if it does not turn out straight you will have to put more sponge on the knob and then give it another try:thumb:

here is mine..

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hoanger said:
I just got it not too long ago
Its the best looking knob I've bought and I've bought many

I believe on all models except the Si, it does NOT clip to the boot. You have to get a new boot. And even then it doesn't attach together. I believe you'd need to get the OEM Si clip ring to make it attach together.

regarding installation.. its not necessary to twist extremely hard to get it to turn out straight.
theres a locking nut that you turn. twist it on first.. then twist the knob on.. when it gets to the bottom and the numbers don't turn out straight, simply twist the knob off a bit (not completely) and adjust the nut.. then twist the knob to test if the numbers turned out straight.
Repeat until numbers come out straight instead of raping the threads.

so according to what this says i CANT just buy the knob for my Ex Model and attach the boot to it.... can anyone else confirm what this is saying or can you reword this because i'm a little confused.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Element63 said:
so according to what this says i CANT just buy the knob for my Ex Model and attach the boot to it.... can anyone else confirm what this is saying or can you reword this because i'm a little confused.
No the knob is not going to attach to your stock boot, but it really makes no difference, if you want to make them attach you will need an Si ring.(the little circular thing on the top of the boot, to make it attach to the knob).

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
you know the knob on all models except the Si? it looks like this big thing?
then in order to take that knob off.. you gotta unclip it from the boot?

if you got an aftermarket knob, you won't be able to clip it back to the stock boot.
Also, if you look at the boot without the knob on it.. its not completely circular. Like I said, you'd have to get the Si boot/clip in order to attach to the knob.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
what is the shift boot with the red stiching? the picture on the first page. is that the one with the Si ring?

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'll try to get some pics tomorrow, it's the Skunk 2 knob and the Auger Resources prototype for the LX shifter boot. I don't think they are selling them for any civics other than the Si's, but it looks pretty good on there. The stock boot has to be replaced, unless you want the "plug" to be in the way.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The_D_Money said:
I'll try to get some pics tomorrow, it's the Skunk 2 knob and the Auger Resources prototype for the LX shifter boot. I don't think they are selling them for any civics other than the Si's, but it looks pretty good on there. The stock boot has to be replaced, unless you want the "plug" to be in the way.
ya i finally found another thread that i got some info from.... i'm going to need yo buy the leather Si boot and the clip on the top to get a "clean" connection.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Element63 said:
what is the shift boot with the red stiching? the picture on the first page. is that the one with the Si ring?

Sorry man, I fell asleep at my computer, lol. The boot is from Auger Resources, it's Black Brisa. Also, that is the stock Si Ring on there, yes!:thumb:

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
The_D_Money said:

Personally, I liked how the stock boot sat, so thats why I put the ring on my Auger Resources boot.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts