8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if I'd be able to tow my Yamaha R6 so that I can take it to the track. Does anybody have any experience towing with an '06 Si?

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
It will tow just fine. I ahve not towed with my FG2 but I will not hesitate to if I need to. My parents used to have a 90 or 91 4 door cavalier. With 5 people in it and everybody's luggage we would go camping. Ohh and we would have a one of those fold down hard top campers in tow too.

I'm sure if that can handle that the Si should be able to tow a buke. What does the bike weight 350 lb +-. I'd say including trailer it wouldn't weigh anymore than 700-800 pounds.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
One thing you might want to consider is insurance. If your owners manual says that your car is not suppose to tow something, and you do, your insurance company might try and get out of paying if you have an accident while towing.

EDIT: It might effect your warranyy as well if you come into the dealership with a hitch bolted on.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
One thing you might want to consider is insurance. If your owners manual says that your car is not suppose to tow something, and you do, your insurance company might try and get out of paying if you have an accident while towing.
Very good point :clapping:

Definitely check into this

·
Registered
878 Posts
btw, i've seen an Si at Road America during the run-offs towing a small 9ft camper, and it wasn't a pop-up either.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have been towing a Honda PWC for two years now with my FA5 with absolutely no problems. I can cruise at 65 and almost forget I'm towing anything. Acceleration is obviously hindered with the extra 900 lbs, but VTEC is dragged out much longer in each gear which is kind of cool. :)

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I was looking into getting one of these trailers too for my 750. Anyone know how this is done? I was curious if you just ride the bike up that little ramp onto the trailer? Or do you need like two people to run it up the ramp with the bike off?

·
Registered
117 Posts
think of it this way, the fg2 has seating for 4-5 people. Average person is 150+lbs with most 600cc bikes your looking at around 400lbs... I don't see a problem, unless ya travel with hippos.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I am not sure but i believe someone had a similar question about towing and it stated in the owners manual that towing should be avoided completely. Since a bike is light, i wouldn't see the damage possible but who knows?

·
Registered
19 Posts
From the manual of my 2007 SI:

(You have to take into account the GWR of the car, which is on the door frame sticker.)

Load Limits

Total trailer weight
The maximum allowable weight of the trailer and everything in or on it must not exceed 1,000 lbs (450 kg). Towing a load that is too heavy can
seriously affect your vehicle’s handling and performance. It can
also damage the engine and drivetrain.

Tongue load
The weight that the tongue of a fully-loaded trailer puts on the hitch should e approximately 10 % of the total trailer weight. Too much tongue load reduces front-tire traction and steering control. Too little tongue load can make the trailer unstable and cause it to sway.

To achieve a proper tongue load, start by loading 60 % of the load toward the front of the trailer and 40 % toward the rear, then re-adjust the load as needed.

·
Registered
720 Posts
It's not a problem. And neither is insurance. The only way insurance can get off the hook is if at any point the trailer becomes unhooked from the car. As long as you have a quality hitch and the proper trailer, have fun. I've been wanting to do this to take my bike to the track but I bought HFP lip kit so I can't put on a hitch now.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
I was looking into getting one of these trailers too for my 750. Anyone know how this is done? I was curious if you just ride the bike up that little ramp onto the trailer? Or do you need like two people to run it up the ramp with the bike off?
My bike is about 500 lbs. and I just get a running start and push it right up into my trailer. It's really not that hard. I wouldn't try riding up that little tiny ramp.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts