8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well to start im at 7,500K miles on my 07 fa5 I bought in march. From the start I noticed the notchiness and it seemed to get worse and worse. This past month my 3rd gear seemed to pop out of gear about 5 times in the mornings with very easy driving, no vtec.

From day 1. Getting into reverse was quite difficult at times, hit or miss, likewise with 6th. So I would move the shifter to the left to sync and then to Reverse. But recently I noticed that If i dont push the clutch to the FLOOR as i was taught, but a lil bit before, every shift is smooth as butter. Im on the honda manual transmission fluid. I have my amsoil on the closet but I wanted honda to take a look at the issue before I install it.


So from 3rd gear always feeling notchy and popping out occassionally....to smooth as butter. Now this is leading me to believe theres an issue with our clutch assemblies.

Im going to drop off my car sometime next week I believe and leave a list of issues I need taken care of while Im at work. Hopefully I dont get shafted >=D


Also not pushing the clutch to the floor has smoothed out all my shifts, and made them faster also.






Is this a sign that my clutch is giving out prematurely?

test this out and let me know your results, thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
the 3rd gear issue has gotten gotten better for me, i bought my fa5 in april. It happens maybe once a week now as opposed to almost every day when i first got it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bp8501 said:
the 3rd gear issue has gotten gotten better for me, i bought my fa5 in april. It happens maybe once a week now as opposed to almost every day when i first got it

It was starting to get worse for me recently, until I noticed pushing the clutch to the floor was causing it. Test it out, dont push the clutch entirely down to the floor. Let me know your results
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,429 Posts
i agree with you bro, whenever i dont push the clutch all the way to the floor by accident my shifts are very smooth... its something to look into
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
583 Posts
it seems like the trannys in the Si's are very tempermental. i was at the track yesterday and 2nd gear sounded like it grinded, but still went in quickly. other than i that i had no transmission problems that day. and since i put in the amsoil MTF 3rd gear as been pretty complient. it hasnt popped out ever, but the notchiness is still there sometimes, but not nearly as bad as it was.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,243 Posts
I bought my Si new in may of this year, I changed the trans fluid out at 2200 miles to Pennzoil Synchromesh when I was doing my oil change because I started experiencing the 3rd gear "wall" and popout when shifting normally in the morning.

Now my car has 7700 miles on it and I've never experienced another "wall" or popout issue but still get the slight gear "tap" into 3rd. As long as it dosen't get worse I don't notice it.
 

·
Scrodums
Joined
·
9,486 Posts
robertw said:
it seems like the trannys in the Si's are very tempermental. i was at the track yesterday and 2nd gear sounded like it grinded, but still went in quickly.
That's just the double coned synchros. The second gear synchros take a large amount of abuse. These synchros are supposed to be more durable, but the trade off is your inability to shift insanely fast.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
329 Posts
y2kedar said:
It was starting to get worse for me recently, until I noticed pushing the clutch to the floor was causing it. Test it out, dont push the clutch entirely down to the floor. Let me know your results
It's funny, Type X had mentioned that he and two others got together, drove each other's cars, and noticed that the shifting issue may have been with the clutch all along, and where it engages (at least for 3rd gear). I can't find the post right now, but I remember seeing it either here or on Honda-Tech.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,754 Posts
10K miles and my gear popped out maybe 3 or 4 times and that's when i did a weak engagement into third
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
329 Posts
MBK said:
10K miles and my gear popped out maybe 3 or 4 times and that's when i did a weak engagement into third
Mine has never popped out, but about 2 to 3 times a week it won't engage fully, so it takes me a second longer to go to N, and back into 3. Usually it's just during calm driving (different clutch use), and spirited driving I never have problems with 3rd. Usually it's 2nd that I have issues with when driving spirited - can't find it, grind it! Ugh...

Lots of other people have different results, but 3rd is generally the most reported as a problematic gear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,429 Posts
when i changed to amsoil MTF it was soooo so smooth the first time i went for a quick drive... now its like the smoothness has disapeared? or maybe im just used to it now? either way 3rd hasnt popped out yet but i want the original smoothness back!!!

its gotta be in my head though
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,281 Posts
3rd have never poped out on me. It does have an extra notch in it before it engages though. Maybe i just got lucky.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
Just change your MTF fluid!

:chill:
Sirbelch said:
3rd have never poped out on me. It does have an extra notch in it before it engages though. Maybe i just got lucky.
Hey y'all (no I'm not from the south):

:police: :thumb: CHANGE THE MANUAL TRANS FLUID. THE HONDA MTF AS FACTORY FILLED DOES NOT WORK WITH OUR NEW SYNCHROS FOR CRAP. DO IT. BELIEVE IT.:lildevil: :police:



1. GM Syncromesh with Friction Modifier:hitit:
2. Amsoil:yeahthat:
3. Redline:coffee:
4. Add some Lucas Pure-Synthetic Oil Stabilizer to Honda MTF.:coffee:

Any of the above (my preference is 1) solve these problems. I was having all of the same, grindy, notchy, syncro-grinding shifts, 3rd popped out once (acually was shifting from 3 to 4, and the car just threw me the shifter like it was just ready to pop out of 3 but didnt).

Now I shift quick, smooth, and no problems. Can a fluid really solve what appears to be a mechanical problem? Yes it can, because fluid dynamics is a mechanical field, far more complicated and challenging than just like gears they lube. The right lube (for the application) will make or break a perfect mechanical design.

BSME, Robotics Engineer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
07 Figi Blue Si said:
:chill:

Hey y'all (no I'm not from the south):

:police: :thumb: CHANGE THE MANUAL TRANS FLUID. THE HONDA MTF AS FACTORY FILLED DOES NOT WORK WITH OUR NEW SYNCHROS FOR CRAP. DO IT. BELIEVE IT.:lildevil: :police:



1. GM Syncromesh with Friction Modifier:hitit:
2. Amsoil:yeahthat:
3. Redline:coffee:
4. Add some Lucas Pure-Synthetic Oil Stabilizer to Honda MTF.:coffee:

Any of the above (my preference is 1) solve these problems. I was having all of the same, grindy, notchy, syncro-grinding shifts, 3rd popped out once (acually was shifting from 3 to 4, and the car just threw me the shifter like it was just ready to pop out of 3 but didnt).

Now I shift quick, smooth, and no problems. Can a fluid really solve what appears to be a mechanical problem? Yes it can, because fluid dynamics is a mechanical field, far more complicated and challenging than just like gears they lube. The right lube (for the application) will make or break a perfect mechanical design.

BSME, Robotics Engineer



As stated in my Original Post...I have amsoil in the closet waiting to be put in and the entire 8th community knows this is the temporary solution available to us but I feel it goes deeper than the fluid. Please Do not go off topic. Please read the original post



I experience notchiness in 3rd, as well as the occasional pop out. Not pushing my clutch to the floor this past week has gotten rid of that. Please test this and post your results.


Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
440 Posts
07 Figi Blue Si said:
:chill:

Hey y'all (no I'm not from the south):

:police: :thumb: CHANGE THE MANUAL TRANS FLUID. THE HONDA MTF AS FACTORY FILLED DOES NOT WORK WITH OUR NEW SYNCHROS FOR CRAP. DO IT. BELIEVE IT.:lildevil: :police:



1. GM Syncromesh with Friction Modifier:hitit:
2. Amsoil:yeahthat:
3. Redline:coffee:
4. Add some Lucas Pure-Synthetic Oil Stabilizer to Honda MTF.:coffee:

Any of the above (my preference is 1) solve these problems. I was having all of the same, grindy, notchy, syncro-grinding shifts, 3rd popped out once (acually was shifting from 3 to 4, and the car just threw me the shifter like it was just ready to pop out of 3 but didnt).

Now I shift quick, smooth, and no problems. Can a fluid really solve what appears to be a mechanical problem? Yes it can, because fluid dynamics is a mechanical field, far more complicated and challenging than just like gears they lube. The right lube (for the application) will make or break a perfect mechanical design.

BSME, Robotics Engineer
I have amsoil and 3rd still feels like **** when I engage the clutch all the way. Changing the fluid helps, but there is definitely something screwy beyond the fluid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,248 Posts
Yodums said:
That's just the double coned synchros. The second gear synchros take a large amount of abuse. These synchros are supposed to be more durable, but the trade off is your inability to shift insanely fast.

First and Second have triple cone synchros.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
y2kedar...I have a 08 Civic Si and I noticed that same thing...shifting was much smoother when I didn't fully depress the clutch on accident.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,307 Posts
Mine has never popped out, but about 2 to 3 times a week it won't engage fully, so it takes me a second longer to go to N, and back into 3. Usually it's just during calm driving (different clutch use), and spirited driving I never have problems with 3rd. Usually it's 2nd that I have issues with when driving spirited - can't find it, grind it! Ugh...

Lots of other people have different results, but 3rd is generally the most reported as a problematic gear.

same prob here:sadwavy:
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top