8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had the TSB about oil leaks on the R18 for a while. Now I think I have one of those leaks. (or maybe I had it all along) Right now it's hard to tell how much my engine is losing since I don't have a good baseline, but I estimate roughly about 1/4 to 1/2 quart loss in 3500 miles. I had to top it up about 1/4 of a quart. I'm at 45,000 miles and I've never seen the orange dipstick level ever get lower. I know that K24's are known to burn thru oil but I've never heard of the R18 losing anything.

The other tricky part is that I don't see any leaks on the ground. But I just knew something was amiss. So I just put a flashlight under and I could some oily dirty area past the oil filter, and I could reach the oily part with my hand.

So next day I raised on a jack and poked around with the TSB in hand to guide me. It looks like it's the "sealing bolt" near the crankshaft pulley, behind the tensioner. You have to pull back the splash guard to see this area well. I didn't see it leaking, more like seepage where its black, oily and dirty. And there is definitely no oil leaking from the filter or drain plug. The TSB says the oil will leak when the engine is running.
I'm glad I didn't see any oil on the transmission side of the engine. They have to pull out the whole engine for that one. This one's not nearly as much work to get to the sealing bolt.

So now that I topped it exactly to the upper dipstick mark and want to see exactly how much oil I'm losing. I'll give it about 1000 miles, and once I'm sure I'm losing oil I'll take to the ole dealer.

Anyone have a similar problem? I suppose this is what I get for buying my civic the first month it came it out. (I've had a few TSB fixes so far.) Doh!

· Registered
57 Posts
Yes, I had two separate leaks from the sealing bolts. One on the tensioner side, the other on the power steering side. I never observed any significant oil loss on the dipstick when this was going on.

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lpages - I'm curious - how did you first discover the leaking?

w00t692 - With all due respect, there are a number of reasons why I wouldn't just put some sealant around the bolt or ignore the problem if it in fact is leaking from there.

1. It's the same amount of labor (about 1hr flat rate) to get to that bolt and put sealant around it as it is to replace it. The new bolt itself couldn't be more than a couple dollars.

2. The car is in warranty, so why shouldn't I have a perfectly sound engine if I have the option?

3. The leak my be a little under-the-radar at this point, but who's to say it won't get worse?

· Registered
57 Posts
lpages - I'm curious - how did you first discover the leaking?

1. It's the same amount of labor (about 1hr flat rate) to get to that bolt and put sealant around it as it is to replace it. The new bolt itself couldn't be more than a couple dollars.

2. The car is in warranty, so why shouldn't I have a perfectly sound engine if I have the option?

3. The leak my be a little under-the-radar at this point, but who's to say it won't get worse?
The first leak(tensioner side) was pointed out to me by my tire shop of all places when I had to get a tire patched. He let me take a look at it when the car was up on the rack. The block was wet/stained on that side and had a black sludge build up all over the bottom(area near oil filter and drain plug clean), had obviously been going on for quite some time. The car had 26,000 miles at that point. The 2nd leak(power steering side) was found at 39,000 mi. when I had the car in for an oil change. Definitely take your car to the dealer to get a RECORD on it. There were some bolts that were mismanufactured, Honda is aware of the defect/problem and will cover it. The Sealing Bolts w/washer aren't expensive, it's where some are located that are a pain to get to, make them deal with it! My car now has 50,000 miles, so far, no leak...

· Registered
542 Posts
Yeah my R18 does the same thing .. I need to add like half a quart every oil change .. I'm a lil rough on it so I just thought It was because of that .. did you change that bolt or whatever? did it fix the problem?

· Registered
11,043 Posts
teflon tape ftw...

BTW, tell me how you diagnosed you were 1/4 of a quart low. Because i promise you can't tell you're a 1/4 of a quart low. that's less than 1/16th of the oil line on the dipstick. which is about 2 millimeters

but anyways, if there's a TSB for it, why are you even bothering to ask us? Just get it done...

· Registered
542 Posts
teflon tape ftw...

BTW, tell me how you diagnosed you were 1/4 of a quart low. Because i promise you can't tell you're a 1/4 of a quart low. that's less than 1/16th of the oil line on the dipstick. which is about 2 millimeters

but anyways, if there's a TSB for it, why are you even bothering to ask us? Just get it done...
the area on the dipstick shows you one quart .. not the entire oil ..

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
well first of all i am assuming my oil was at the upper dipstick mark after last oil change. now 3500 miles later, and assuming the difference between the upper and lower mark is one whole quart, it was 1/4 of a quart low (the oil reached 3/4 of the way to the top mark). Plus I added 1/4 of a quart to get it the top. (the dipstick reading has never been below upper mark in the past so that's what caused my concern.) But thing is I'm not 100% sure the oil level was to the upper mark after the last oil change. So that's why I'm waiting about 1000 miles see if it goes down at all. Then I'll "just get it done"

I'm just asking if anyone has had similar experiences. I don't the have utmost confidence in the dealership(s) and when I do take it in, I want to have as much information as possible to make sure they fix the issue correctly, or at least know what I'm in for. (for example when I had a suspension issue, I was pretty sure I knew the problem, I took and showed them the applicable TSB, their first attempt at fix - a new strut - didnt fix it - but low and behold when they applied the TSB - the problem was fixed.)

I was always under the impression that's this is what car forums are for -to bounce ideas off each other about our cars.

BTW - thanks so far for responses about similar problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.