8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a new 09 LX Coupe (Canada) that I got about a month ago, and two weeks into having it, it developed an intermittent interior rattling. At first I thought it was coming from the passenger footwell, but recently I have pinpointed the source with complete confidence as from under the passenger seat.

Symptoms:
-rattling sound from passenger side near the floor
-rattling sound only when in motion, when passenger seat is unoccupied
-when passenger seat is occupied, rattle disappears
-rattling more prominent when over bumpy roads or higher speeds
-punching/shaking/agitating the passenger seat reproduces rattle

Resolution:
-Tighten (HARD) the two big bolts, with a 14mm socket wrench, that attach the seat directly into the floor. The bolts are each located on the left rear and right rear of the passenger seat. They are each covered with a plastic dust cap which can easily be popped off to access the bolts.

Now it might not make sense for a loose bolt to cause rattling; however, when I think back to my bicycle mechanic days, I was always amazed at how loose bolts (and other things that didn't look like they could physically rattle) could create a rattling sound.

After doing this, I have noticed that the rattle is now gone! However, I have yet to test this fix out on the highways. So give it a try and see if it works. From reading previous posts on this issue, this has worked for others. Good luck!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Great post! I have just noticed my passenger seat having a slight rattle thought it was the seat belt buckle hitting something, but I will give those 2 bolts a try and see how it goes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
YES!!! I have the exact same issue, I thought for months it was my center armrest, like something inside was making the noise. did tightening the bolts work??

·
Registered
714 Posts
will definatley try this out, mine has been making that noise and I am really pissed..................will w=give it a try and post my results............

·
Banned
662 Posts
I am not trying to thread jack, but I thought I would share with fellow 8th members
I found a solution to this The other day.

What to Do:
What I did: get a piece of a cardboard box and cut it into 4 small squares (like 2"x2") and cut a X in the center of the cardboard squares.

Wedge the Squares b/w the metal floor board and the Metal seat bracket where the X that you cut matches up w/ the bolt hole.

Push the bolt through the X and holes and tighten up as much as possible.

The Result:
No Rattle Ever!!!! I have tested on bad roads, good roads, speed bumps. etc...

Time & Cost for Repair:
5 mins for Repair
$0 for repair (giving tools are available and a cardboard box)

Hope this helps every1

·
Banned
662 Posts
YES!!! I have the exact same issue, I thought for months it was my center armrest, like something inside was making the noise. did tightening the bolts work??
That was my initial thought that the arm rest rattles, but it starts from the floor board of the seat then works its way up

·
Registered
3 Posts
my passenger seat rattles

my seat rattles too unfortunately because it is more than 60000 km, honda told me I am not covered anymore and it will cost me 1500$ to repalce the seat, it has something to do with the seat frame. I am sure it was defective from the manufacturer because I never have anyone in my seat. I hope that Cust. Service has good news for me given that this is a safety issue. Does Honda put a 60000 km limit of coverage on one's safety?

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
would this apply to a FA*? the other day, my mamie was sitting in the passenger side, and i still heard a rattle.. bugged the zombie Jesus out of me :(

·
Registered
112 Posts
my passenger seat pops on a change from forward thrust to pulling down (reverse thrust) but only when a passenger is in it. I was thinking the main bolts might be loose, or something with the track in the seat movement mechanism. I will check for these loose bolts. . . anyone having this more like a poping noise than a rattle?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
my passanger seat doesnt rattle but my back seat rattles does this fix the problem? like i have a rattling sound coming out of my back right speaker but when i stop the rattle is gone so im thinking is it possible that its the seat?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts