8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading up about doing a port n polish on my baby. Good gains are expected and its not very costly. ANyone know if this is a myth? and how much should i expect to spend and where can this be done?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
i guess u are talkin ab port N polisheed head? yea should help a lil but idk if anyone has done that on the fg/fa's yet

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
you should do it and see what gains you get. i would like to do it but i know next to nothing so...........

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't mind doing both. for starters, the intake manifold if all goes well then the head as well. I haven't got any benchmarks on recent upgrades yet AEM cai, Ti-c exhaust but i'm hopeing to see more with a pnp!

I turn to this because theres no race header for R18 :redface:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'm not too keen on the disassembly of my engine so i'm curious if any race shops might do this and if theres much performance gain to be forced out of this engine. lol

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
i only thought it was like 6 or 7 hundred bucks. not bad for the results imo.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Do more research, you DON'T want to do it yourself, and a good pnp job will cost you well over $1200, +engine disassembly.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Some people are really dumb and think "Oh I'll just do it myself and smooth out the rough edges", not realizing its much more involved than that, and you can really screw up the flow of your engine, as can a basic cheap port job.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Yeah Port and Polish head work is more for more built N/A or F/I engine. You wont benefit from this on a stock set up with just bolt ons. Port and polish is to help increase air flow. But if nothing more is there to help move the air then the work is useless. Port work usually comes with cams and some form to up compression in the cylinder. So unless you are doing cams at the same time PnP is not needed.At the same time no tuning is available to do this mod anyways yet. But PnP responds well in F/I since this needs flow. I would say save your money. the $1200 for the PnP plus the engine tear down is a total of a couple grand which would be a nice down payment for a F/I system which would net more power then the PnP job.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
adamhoud said:
Do more research, you DON'T want to do it yourself, and a good pnp job will cost you well over $1200, +engine disassembly.

thats for a full head work

if you only want to improve the flow its not too expensive

you can check some prices here
http://www.honda-performance.com/services-porting.asp

another example
http://www.pure-tuning.com/pages/services/toyota.htm

also i agree.... this is not a DIY...
it requires years of experience and it NEED to be tested on a flow bech... at least...

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Yeah, like a 3 angle job, which is considered entry level, 5 angle runs upwards of 2K. You would only want to do this if putting in new cams and doing something with your TB as well.

·
Registered
436 Posts
^^ true but still have to take the head off and send it to the shop. Not worth the money when the money can be spent else were for more results. PnP is mostly done after all other mods are done and a person want to improve what he has. The K20 head flows so well PnP isn't needed unless a guy is going full race.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts