8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

381 - 400 of 456 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Guys & gals,

Just wanted to bump this up. I have a '10 Si sedan which had the HFP installed a few weeks back. I am now noticing the popping sound at low-speed, full-lock turns. Dealer in my area is recommending full replacement of strut assembly; dealer that provided the part (eBay transaction) will have to speak to a service rep to see if they can replace it.

My local dealer is saying they are not required to honor the parts warranty as it was not purchased from them; dealer I bought the parts from is being very polite but questions why my local dealer would say that. Thoughts?

Are we certain the popping sound is tied into the strut assemblies? Granted, it can't be denied that the sound appeared almost instantly after install, but it just doesn't seem to react to bumps - only when at low-speed, full-lock turns.

Thanks for any input/advice.

Jeff
I think we need to remember there are two separate issues here. First is the popping noise that sounds like a racquetball hitting a wall. This happens while the car is driving straight and I think at 25+ mph. The second issue is what I think you have.

My wife and I both had 07 LXs, one coupe one sedan. Both had this problem. It was turning the wheel to either lock while stopped and then taking off. One side was worse that the other, but the noise was awful, like a clanging noise. Once the car was moving and the wheel was straightened, it never made the noise again. The more we turned the wheel while stopped and the harder we accelerated, the worse the noise was.

The repair on both cars was to replace the axles, one at a time. They fixed the worst side on her car by replacing the left axle but when she got it home, the noise still happened on the right side so they replaced that. Mine was the opposite where they did the right side first, and I was about to bring it in to get the left done but we traded both cars in so I never did it.

I bet it's the axles. It's part of this massive letter I just mailed to Honda Corp. because four bad axles on 2 new cars is insane in my opinion, and there were also other problems too. Keep us updated with your progress.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Guys, thanks for all the replies. Appreciate the thought being given here.

My feeling is that the noise did not occur before the HFP; however, I did have another issue with the front struts needing replacement on the OEM setup. This happened twice where that was a very slight rattling, "ping pong ball" sound. It took two tries but they got it.

Now, immediately after the HFP, there is a new noise at the full-lock turns. Seeing as there was never any issue with the axles previously, I'm inclined to think the timing lends itself to going back to the struts. Maybe it needs re-lubrication, maybe it needs more tightening, I don't know. I had thought the bump stops seemed like the next logical place to look but my dealer immediately dismissed that possibility and said the struts are notorious for being noisy.

I'm living with it for now but need to keep pressuring the two dealers involved. Ugh.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Honda Service Sucks

I have a 06 Civic Si. I have had that stupid popping noise on hard turns in the cold from Day 1. When the car was new I brought it in to get Honda to inspect the front suspension because I thought a rod or something was broken. They charged me like $100 for the inspection, but found nothing. It doesn't make the noise in the summer, and Honda said there was nothing wrong with the car so I have just been dealing with it, ever since.

Thanks to this forum, I just found out about TSB 07-043. Called the dealership and the idiots tell me they don't know anything about this. And this is the first they have heard of a popping noise in the front.

I called up Honda Canada, who told me it is a US TSB and not valid for Canada. The man then went on to acknowledge that there is an identical version for Canada that is out. I asked him for the TSB so I could quote it at the dealership, but apparently they don't give out that information to customers (of course you don't want your customer to know your car is ****, they may want to make a warranty claim).

I called the dealership. Hunt Club Honda in Ottawa (do not shop there!!!), the service manager was very rude, and spoke down to me the entire call. Would not even look up the info on his computer. Just told me it was my fault for not looking into it again, and again, and again and now the warranty had expired and he would not do anything for me. He said I have a problem with the manufacturer and not Honda (really?) and I needed to take it up with them.

Honda Canada, Hunt Club Honda, and Civic Motors Honda, were not able to provide any assistance to me. I don't wanna give Honda another penny, but my girlfriend is booking my in at Civic Motors, and then we will start a letter writing campaign to Honda Canada and Honda International in the hopes of getting our money back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My stock 08 civic lx is also knocking when I turn the steering wheel. It started a few days ago. I am hoping that the noise goes away. It does it even if the wheel is moved a couple inches in either direction. It continues to knock throughout the entire range of steering. It even does it when I am sitting still in the driveway.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
132 Posts
So, a bit of an update. I did get the replacement DS front strut assembly but have not had it replaced yet. I'll let everyone know when I do and if it solves the problem. In addition, I, too noticed the noise decreased significantly after a brief warm-up we had in the Northeast. Made it to about 60 degrees and the noise almost disappeared entirely. Well, it's cold again and now it's back. Freaking annoying.

Good luck to you all...

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just wana let u guys know thta tI had a same problem three years ago. So, I claimed to dealer to fix that problem. It was fine for a year and there were no pooping sound, but it popped up again in two years ago. When the weather is extremly cold, I dont hear the sound, but at aroudn 29-35 F, I could hear the popping sound. From my memory, I guess I dont hear that sound in dry weather condition. I think even though u replace the bump stop, u might get the noise again. Or maybe not...

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
my car used to do this so much when i was on coils its was ridiculious.
now im on different rims with oem offset and it rarely pops.

i wanted to take a tech out on a test drive and have him hear it when i make a u-turn or something...but now i can just print this out and hand it to them :)

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
I have the same issue =[ I installed my coils and now I hear a loud POP from the front struts. I thought it was the bearings at first so I replaced it and it died down a bit, but I still get these LOUD POPS when I turn, when I turn on a bump, when it's cold, and slight turns =[ Does anyone have a solution to it? I don't think honda would warranty it if I it's happening after I installed coils =[

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have the same issue =[ I installed my coils and now I hear a loud POP from the front struts. I thought it was the bearings at first so I replaced it and it died down a bit, but I still get these LOUD POPS when I turn, when I turn on a bump, when it's cold, and slight turns =[ Does anyone have a solution to it? I don't think honda would warranty it if I it's happening after I installed coils =[
read through the post...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just got back from honda and they fixed the problem. I have an 08 si coupe and i printed the TSB and took it with me. No questions asked but they ended up having to order the new parts to install them so i had to make two trips. I also have warranty on my car so i did not have to come out of pocket at all. Thanks again for the TSB!
lucky you.....
wish i have same luck as you or make a long drive to your dealer

·
Registered
285 Posts
I just started hearing this on my 07 EX (67xxx miles) about 2 days ago :( my car is certified pre owned and under warranty until 100,xxx miles. I'm gonna bringt in to the dealer and pray they will fix it.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Wow, I never thought anything of it... the popping from my 08 Si... I get it going slowly over speed bumps or taking turns. I figured it was nothing... What's the worst that can happen in the long run? It's been making the noise since dec 07 when I got the car. I still <3 It :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Wow, I never thought anything of it... the popping from my 08 Si... I get it going slowly over speed bumps or taking turns. I figured it was nothing... What's the worst that can happen in the long run? It's been making the noise since dec 07 when I got the car. I still <3 It :)
I have a 2007. It seems nothing really happens; the noise just starts to happen less and less. :badger:

·
Registered
70 Posts
I got the same symptom on my 07 EX from 07 till now but it only pops (series of pops) when temp is above 40 F (weird) while driving at low speed (<45mph) on any road condition (bump, rough road,....)

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have skunk2 pro s coilovers and they make a popping noise when I'm turning the steering wheel. I have taken them off and put them on sooooo many times seriously and it's driving me crazy does anyone know what it could be?? I've done sooo much research and nothing please help

381 - 400 of 456 Posts