8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past, I've noticed that my '06 CSX felt squirmy on icy roads. I always thought that it was the upper control arm issue, which I had fixed on the Safety Bulletin, or bad tires. Now I'm not so sure.

Now I've noticed that I only really notice the problem when I'm fully loaded.

On a recent road trip, I had the trunk loaded with probably 100 lbs. I also use a receiver hitch mounted cargo carrier. It probably weighs about 40 lbs and I had another 40 lbs of cargo on it.

The car handled terribly in icy and even wet conditions. It feels like the front end is too light and I've got no traction to the steering tires.

When I look at the car from the side, it's definitely sagging in the back.

Could it be that the load on the back is unloading the front wheels? If so that would explain everything.

Also if so, how do I fix it?

Is it as simple as putting beefier springs in the back?

Suggestions on particular hardware mods are very welcome...

·
Registered
105 Posts
well the thing i do know is no matter what, ice is going to affect how your car drives...unless you have studded tires

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's understood, but when the best I can do is 35 MPH and white knuckles when everyone around me is doing 60, there's something wrong.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
yes loading down the rear springs will pull the weight abck, thus lifting the front or atleast taking away some of its weight for traction and all that good stuff

tougher springs in the back will limit the droop with the load but itll do all sorts of strange things to your standard dry unloaded handling, that is without stiffening up the front to the same degree

·
Registered
641 Posts
You could try putting stuff on the front half of your car so that you have more weight (traction) there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts