8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello guys, I have been researching quite a while on how to make my 06 EX Sedan handle better on anything it goes through. After researching and researching, I saw that it's recommended to replace the rear sway bar for the one off the Si which is much thicker making the handling improve drastically. The front sway bar will stay stock.

I have 2 choices when it comes to bushings - OEM Rubber or Polyurethane Bushings. As my struts and springs (Eibach Lowering Springs) are all going to be replaced, it's going to be a stable ride with those 2 but I was thinking if I do go with the poly bushings it might be too stiff for daily use. I'm all for handling on my car but stiff like a rock is not what I want tbh.

Anyone who has upgraded their sway bar bushings to polyurethane - can you guys give me advice? Is it too stiff for daily use and does it improve handling enough over new rubber bushings? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Use the poly....it will most certainly last longer and it's not going to be so stiff you won't be able to deal with it. It will compliment your Eibachs.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
You will not notice stiffer sway bar bushing. They are very different than the compliance or other actual suspension bushings. They are not going to make the car ride rough.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I noticed stiffer sway bar bushings... Biggest change was def front LCA compliance bushings though, for sure. Rack and pinion bushings also lightened up the rack to the point where I can U-turn with one finger. I could not tell one difference from bushings I installed in the rear. Trust me, as much pain as I went through to get them in, I was expecting huge improvements. If I had to do it again, I would do all the front bushings and none of the rear.

It will not harden up anything. The negatives IMO are the ride can be more bouncy, which I tuned out by adjusting my coilover preload, and they squeak if you don't lube them. I use a graphite spray lubricant every oil change, squeaks are reduced by 80%.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help! i'm going for the poly bushings. I'd rather try the bushings than not try them which after all they aren't hard to swap out if I don't like them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks for the help! i'm going for the poly bushings. I'd rather try the bushings than not try them which after all they aren't hard to swap out if I don't like them.
I had to lathe a tool to fit over the metal LCA compliance rings and loan a press to do it... I would consider this install difficult. Took me two weeks to get it where I was happy with it, and then an alignment.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had to lathe a tool to fit over the metal LCA compliance rings and loan a press to do it... I would consider this install difficult. Took me two weeks to get it where I was happy with it, and then an alignment.
Famous last words as I haven't even touched my bushings yet lol. I don't think i'll sway the polys out if I don't like them because I want a sporty ride. I hate the puny rear sway bar.... it's like one of those drinking straws you get at McDonalds.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello guys, I have been researching quite a while on how to make my 06 EX Sedan handle better on anything it goes through. After researching and researching, I saw that it's recommended to replace the rear sway bar for the one off the Si which is much thicker making the handling improve drastically. The front sway bar will stay stock.

I have 2 choices when it comes to bushings - OEM Rubber or Polyurethane Bushings. As my struts and springs (Eibach Lowering Springs) are all going to be replaced, it's going to be a stable ride with those 2 but I was thinking if I do go with the poly bushings it might be too stiff for daily use. I'm all for handling on my car but stiff like a rock is not what I want tbh.

Anyone who has upgraded their sway bar bushings to polyurethane - can you guys give me advice? Is it too stiff for daily use and does it improve handling enough over new rubber bushings? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sway bars are a good way to improve handling without really ruining the ride. Be careful with your spring rates as that will, and most of the time, where as the sway bars work most in cornering.I have personally replaced them on sway bars without a lot of ride degradation . Where I ruined ? the ride was putting the polyurethane bushings in all the suspension parts (struts, trailing arm ) my Si has a 17mm. rear sway bar ,not sure what others are. Hope I don't come off like a know it all because ride quality is a individual thing.If you go all poly, make sure your dental insurance is paid up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts