8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, it was time to POLISH (not wax), the black Si Sedan. Swirl Marks, imperfections, waterspots and other whatnots have made there way into the clear and dulled the finish ! You must remove the swirls (not hide them) so the light reflects properly to get a 1st place mirror finish. I detail boats and cars on the side, and over the years, i've tried everything known to the professional auto detailing world in america, russia and europe. First, there are so many techniques, and if you don't know what you're doing, say goodbye to your finish. I use a Makita Orbital, and a 2 or 3 stage process for polishing (depending if i must wetsand), afterwards applying a sealent (not wax). The problem with carnuba based waxes, and most def. pure carnuba wax, is that it softens upon being exposed to the sun (just like your surfer wax for you dudes out there), it attracts dust, sand and whatever else like a magnet. So the next time to wash your car, it's swirl mark city. If you live up north, and have a garage queen, 100% pure carnuba wax from South America (like ps21 or the 500 dollar an oz. carnuba ball :SHOCKED: that you use on your lambo ;)) applied with the palms of your hand, not a pad, is the way to go.
First things first, typical washing the car with dawn, then claying.
Secondly, testing an area (i test the hood because this is what everyone looks at first), to find the proper solution removing the defects in the clear.
You can go about this a few ways.
You can go to my link when i was working on my vette. Now this doesn't show the final, but there some pics when i started working on it. This paint look like cement before i made it look new again.
Mirror Shine Old Metallic Pewter & Best Wheel Products I've Used - Corvette Forum

Anyway, after you had read that post, these are some pics of the black civic now.

This was before i polished (but after washing and claying). I'm using the nxt bottle just to show off the reflection for comparison purposes. The car is not sealed or polished here yet.

It's a little dull compared to the after shot which is crystal clear (well 99%, you can never get it 100%, that is the reflection of the hubble telescopic mirror ;)).

After polishing * using nxt bottle just for photo purposes here, didn't use this product to get this shine.

This is not a mirror, this is the actual hood after i went through the the compound and polishing phase to remove all those hairline swirl marks.

now it has that porsche (almost, honda doesn't have the porsche paint job quality, and the orange peel distorts the edges of the reflections you can see as wavyness...)

I must admit, out of all the colors, Black really sets off the Si Sedan. But it's a ***** to keep clean ;) 2007 with 21200 miles on it after polishing, no sealent yet. This is just after being polished. I'll use NXT to seal it. Wolfgang Polymer Sealent is also an excellent choice. Zaino makes some great products, but it takes a while and you must add an activator cure to the product. Too much extra work just to wax or seal the car. That's me in the lower left corner, nice mirror reflection. Too bad the sun bleached out the entire hood shot, the sky reflected like a mirror, but the sun bleached it out in the photo.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow, hella nice job. takes alot to get black looking like that!
thanks ! You guys all really have nice cars here. Honda makes a great product! I really love this car. Can you believe someone keyed this already ? :( I wetsanded it out, then polished. It's all gone now, but i just can't understand why people do such things. I never in my entire life would think of it, always respected someone elses car.

·
Banned
710 Posts
^ TRUE dont ever mess with a mans car. People get jelous at me bc im 17 and have an Si, so when I go to partys I always have to keep an eye out to make sure non of the skater **** are messing with my car. I swear, if I find a person who keyed my car (if I ever get keyed) I will, I swear on my life, beat him half to death. No one messes with my car. Noone should mess with anyones car. Pisses me off soooo much when I see people get keyed. This guy had a corvette, and hes prb like 55-60 years old (typicla corvette owner) and he took up two spots at the shopping mall. Parked right in the middle. I was witha bunch of my buddies and we saw some skater guys key both sides of the vette and rele deep too. Omfg, I told my friends to get in the car and I ran over to the guys that were keying the car, they were older than me (early twentys). Tight pants, my chemical romance sweaters lol (wat ****) emo kids. I held on down on the hood of the corvette, and I told him off real good. If I ever saw him again I would kick his as*. Sry.......... lol, i get angry when losers try to do stupid stuff like that......

That happened about two months ago. Actually, that same night I joined this forum

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
^ TRUE dont ever mess with a mans car. People get jelous at me bc im 17 and have an Si, so when I go to partys I always have to keep an eye out to make sure non of the skater **** are messing with my car. I swear, if I find a person who keyed my car (if I ever get keyed) I will, I swear on my life, beat him half to death. No one messes with my car. Noone should mess with anyones car. Pisses me off soooo much when I see people get keyed. This guy had a corvette, and hes prb like 55-60 years old (typicla corvette owner) and he took up two spots at the shopping mall. Parked right in the middle. I was witha bunch of my buddies and we saw some skater guys key both sides of the vette and rele deep too. Omfg, I told my friends to get in the car and I ran over to the guys that were keying the car, they were older than me (early twentys). Tight pants, my chemical romance sweaters lol (wat ****) emo kids. I held on down on the hood of the corvette, and I told him off real good. If I ever saw him again I would kick his as*. Sry.......... lol, i get angry when losers try to do stupid stuff like that......

That happened about two months ago. Actually, that same night I joined this forum
Where were you guys when my car was getting keyed !!! ;)

Yeah, this happened at Walmart :violin:
I getting some microfibre drying cloths, and when i returned to my car, it was staring at me right in the face ! Couldn't believe it ! :( Oh well, maybe when those morons own a car, and someone does it to their car, they'll realize. Anyway, Here's the rear also. I use Stoner's Tire Shine on the tires, because the new & improved version just came out, or first I saw it on the shelves at autozone. Stoner's made some of the compounds for goodyear tires, so they know tires. I used to use Mequiar's hot tire shine, but i like the stoners even more. No sling at all! It's not that glossy either, but it lasts ! Notice my garage queen vette in the reflection ! ;)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
+1 for keeping that NHBP super clean!
When I bought the car, i was just driving it to work and back, everywhere around florida because it does it all ! Power, Mileage, Roomy, looks ...
I don't drive the vette much (that's my toy :biggrin:). Now that it has some mileage on her i'm looking to do some mods and whatnots... Finally joined a forum ! ;)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you're a beginner and don't want to mess with a circular polisher then this approach works very well for most cars (as long as the scratches aren't too deep...)

This will give you a good start and you'll work all day on the car to get
a showcar finish. Did this system on several cars and with some patience you get some great results ! Never be in a hurry...

Application: Zaino Store

:thumb:

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
I use zaino too, zaino ftw. Im waiting for it to stop being cold though, too much salt....:sadwavy:
Don't you love it when the streets are bleached white with salt, leaving a white patina everywhere? I only drive my Si when the streets are not wet or slushy. Thus, my car is not really very dirty, but it is covered in a layer of salt dust because clouds of it fly up when the weather is below zero. I hate winter!

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
ahh so no dawn just for washing normal but when u want to remove the wax its good?
when your doing something like this, yeah, it's fine. You want to remove all wax and degrease the whole car before polishing then sealing or waxing.
I wouldn't use the NXT to seal as it's not really made for that. Go with meguires #21 for sealant.
you gotta whip out the xenon light to make sure you didn't miss anything. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.