8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is the best way to remove those 4 plastic tabs on the plastic covering(the one surrounding the hood latch mechanism) on the engine bay? I just broke one wrestling it off.

Edit: Figured out how to remove the 2 inner tabs(after breaking one) by popping up the center ring with a knife and then it just slides right out. The Outer 2 tabs are what I dont know how to remove.

·
Purpul Plane 4ever!
40,686 Posts
the one to the right (facing the car) can be popped out by pulling up on the whole plastic peice. Basically let the palm of your hand cover the tab and wrap your fingers down to the bottom of the tab, then pul up. The one on the left side can be popped of with two screwdrivers attacking it from each side.

Or you can just break it and spend the 80 cents or so to replace it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
you can buy a "panel popper" tool or what I did was take an old putty knife, and sawed a "V" section out of the middle, leaving a tool with 2 prongs. I filed it down a little so it slides underneath easier, and you have to file the burrs off the saw cuts anyway. i used a hacksaw with the appropriate blade to make the cut.

I also broke one of mine off, and the local Honda dealer had none and said I had to order 12 of them at some ridiculous price, so i waited and ordered those fastners and some others from College Hills Honda.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I got a shipment today coming from college hills honda for the same reason. Stupid cheap ass parts. Not only have I broken the tabs from repeat times of pulling my bumper off but I also broke to black plastic part that covers the inner liner of the fender in the engine bay.
CANMAN,

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually just went to the Honda dealer, figured let them break something instead of me. They showed me that the outer 2 just pop out if you use 2 screwdrivers and just pop back in. The also showed me what I already figured out with the inner tabs.

Oh and the replaced the inner tab that I broke free, they have a whole box of them.:dancing:

Thanks for explaining, now I just need to get and put on a black si grill(w/o the si)....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts