8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

i see that acura is doing this on a few concepts and if im not mistaken other car companies are starting to do those plastic panels over the engine bay as well. i dont read up much on acura besides the old days and the nsx developments and delays and such. but those plastic dressup/covers look VERY inconvenient if u ask me. i wouldnt really like those things at all. now i know u can probably take them off...so no problem there but idk i just dont understand why companies are doing this now. wont it get hotter under there more as well too? just from a performance perspective this doesnt seem to innovative. luxury wise. its excellent.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Its more cleaner, quieter? i guess.

Its more of a luxury tihng. Acura is a luxury brand you know.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^yea i know that, but id hates to see the honda/toyota/nissan companies start doing this when lexus infinity and acura get acustom to it.

·
Registered
682 Posts
It gives the engine bay a cleaner look, and probably doesn't do much in the way of heat removal since you still have alot of room for the air flow, and your engine isn't air cooled.

If it was on my Acura, I'd remove it cause I think it's ugly, but I can see the appeal.

·
Registered
21,213 Posts
Because with all the wires, tubes and hoses in modern complex engines it's very hard, and very expensive to make them look clean and neat, so most companies just put a plastic engine cover on there to make it look nicer.

Example, Lexus IS-F with it's engine and engine bay covers:

With all covers removed:

Cars with clean coverless engines still exist, if you're willing to pay the price:
Ferrari F430

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i find that with those covers off things are just so much more interesting, i know whats its for lol, i was just asking if everyone thought it was a good idea, performance wise.

·
Registered
21,213 Posts
i find that with those covers off things are just so much more interesting, i know whats its for lol, i was just asking if everyone thought it was a good idea, performance wise.
The IS-F looks terrible without it's engine cover. You can't even see the engine under the spaghetti of cables and hoses.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Performance wise, the cover doesn't change it in any way, unless your CAI pulls air in from under the cover, which would defeat the purpose of the CAI.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
ahhahaha owned.

2 different things we re talking about. i know why they have, i want to know what everyone thinks about it from a performance factor. something ive already asked 3 times now. nice try though.

btw that isf looks ugly without it. good call.

·
Registered
605 Posts
2 different things we re talking about. i know why they have, i want to know what everyone thinks about it from a performance factor. something ive already asked 3 times now. nice try though.

btw that isf looks ugly without it. good call.
There is no performance factor to it, last time I checked plastic does not make a car perform better. It's 100% cosmetic, and its main purpose is to make an ugly engine bay look more "clean"... this is their goal but it just ends up looking cheap and tacky. Acura keeps claiming they want to compete with the best, and they simply won't with that type of coverup.

If anything it makes a car harder to modify and discourages people from doing work on it. (Acura 1, Consumer 0) Acura wins.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
sound deadening for 1 reason. without the cover on all new lexus vehicles, the engine is very noisy. so they put lots of thick foam under them to make them a bit quieter.

·
Registered
21,213 Posts
There is no performance factor to it. It's 100% cosmetic, and its main purpose is to make a ugly engine bay look more clean... this is their goal but it ends up just looking cheap and tacky. Acura keeps claiming they want to compete with the best, and they simply won't with that type of coverup.

If anything it makes a car harder to modify and discourages people from doing work on it. (Acura 1, consumer 0)
:yeahthat:

·
Registered
21,213 Posts
Wanna see a clean engine bay check what the CFT guys did to this s2000 shaved engine bay.
Most people don't want to get rid of their A/C, heater, windshield washers, emissions control systems, and a bunch of other stuff.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts