8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been wanting to dip the car for years and finally pulled the trigger a few weeks back. I originally was planning to vinyl wrap the car, but after getting a few body panels in, I realized I just don't have the skill for it. I purchased the Tactical Green car kit from Dipyourcar.com for about $200 during the Spring sale and picked up a $100 electric paint sprayer on Amazon, so not too pricey of a proposition if you ever thought about doing this. Just FYI, the small car kit is enough paint for our cars.

The painting actually was super easy, to be honest the masking took way more work than the painting itself. When everything was done I'd say the whole process took about 6 hours (2-3 hours of masking and then 15 minutes between coats).

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any bubbles? And were you able to get fine lines without the dip tearing when removing the tape?
I did have some bubbles form where the trunk lid meets the rear bumper, just below the licence plate. Something about how the wind channels down through the gaps between the trunk lid and the body cause the air to get under the Dip a bit there. I just re-wet it with some mineral spirits and it stuck after that.

Regarding fine lines, I did my best to keep my tape lines near large gaps such at window trim and panel gaps. The only tight spots were where the rubber doors seals meet the body at the top of the door. I just made sure to peel hose parts when the paint was still pretty wet.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like an army issued Civic haha, nice work though especially at that price point and time spent.
Thanks! A little unexpected perk of this color is that the car just doesn't show dirt at all anymore. I haven't washed the car since I painted it and you can't really tell at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts