8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I'm planning to get the new Civic. I've never bought a car before so this will be my first time. I plan to pay the car off all at once, so my question is, when I go and buy the car, do I make a downpayment first and when I get the car, I make another payment to pay the rest or do I pay everything upfront and just wait until I get my car?

·
Registered
36 Posts
i wouldn't put any down payments until the price is discussed to the point where you are satisfied... since as soon as you put down payments... that money is gone even if you back out from the deal... so its always good to just walk out on dealership and tell them you will consider about it.. and tell them you also looked at other type of cars and such like two or three days later.. and try to play around with the price a bit =).. usually the down payments is around a few hundred bucks.. so make sure you got a good price before you put any money down... good luck =)

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
I agree with zorq. I wouldn't let a dealer know you plan on paying in full until you're about to finish the deal. Get a price settled upon, then talk payment options with them. Think of it this way - not many people can go into a place and put down 20k cash to pay a car off. Dealerships almost expect you to be financing the car for 5 years. They make money off you financing. They don't need to know how you plan on paying till you have a set price on the vehicle. Or - you can tell them you're financing, and then always just say - "well, I decided to just go ahead and pay it off instead -and write a check".

If you're thinking about putting a hold on the SI - go for it. Dealers don't even know the cost yet, so they really can't negotiate on price yet. You can put like 500 down on one to hold it, and always get it back if the deal doesn't work out. If you're not looking for an SI - shop around till you find the car you're looking for. Or have a dealer locate the car you want. You'll obviously be better off if you'd just find the car you want on a lot vs. putting a deposit on one. (might be difficult). Hope that helps.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'd get the price I want, then when you start discussing payment ask them if they'd come down anymore if you paid it off in full. Might be worth a couple of hundred more. Can't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dealers make money on financing. I believe they have arrangements with banks to get some of the finance charges if you finance through them.

So I doubt you would get money off by paying cash. On the other hand, if they knew you were paying cash, the price might not go down as much during negotiations.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was able to get my 06 Civic EX for $1000 under MSRP. You just have to talk it out, and let them know that you know someone at another dealership offered you $1300 under MSRP (in my case I was offered $1200, but that dealership had a huge waiting list that I settled for $1000 instead).

Either way, talk to them and negotiate with them. It's the only thing that will help ya get a great deal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts