8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was on the freeway today and a plastic bag was flying. Then it went under the car. I couldn't avoid the bag. So I exit off the freeway to look under the car. The plastic melt on the exhaust pipe. I got most of the plastic out, but now it smell nasty. Do any of you 8th gens know how to get the melted plastic off the exhaust pipe?

I hate people who litter!! why!!

Thank You!

·
Registered
401 Posts
I would try scrap it off if it is on the tip. If it is on the pipe I would try just burn the rest of it off with a torch or something.

·
Registered
375 Posts
If it stays hot enough to melt, I would melt a majority of it off and when there's that thin burnt layer left I would scrub it while its warm with a scotch-brite pad with soap and water to avoid scratching the finish. if its on the piping then you can scrape it off without worrying about the finish but if its on the visible tip I wouldn't risk dulling or scratching your finish, so be sure to use soap and water.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Remember that once you scrape it off, if you can get some sort of metal polish to add the luster and shine out of the metal, that would be ideal.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I wonder if WD-40 would work on it. Apply the liquid onto a rag and then start wiping away.

Just make sure if there is excess WD-40, that you wipe it off of the exhaust before you start up the car again.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Oven cleaner. I had this happen on my old skunk2 and it's a pain to get off if you let it harden over time. It will not burn off by itself.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Oven cleaner. I had this happen on my old skunk2 and it's a pain to get off if you let it harden over time. It will not burn off by itself.
i never tried oven cleaner but i used some extra fine steel wool and got it off my skunk2 on my ek but it was just on the bottom side of the muffler so i wasn't super worried if it wasn't shiny

·
Registered
503 Posts
0000 Steel wool and P21S Polishing Soap!!

P21S Metal Polishing Soap - 10.5 oz | Detailed Image

Awesome stuff, and obviously you wont use it only once. This stuff lasts and can clean metal really well.

Of course, you probably won't want to spend a lot of money, so I recommend you try other options and use this as a last resort if you don't want to spend $$ for shipping (which kills many deals IMO)

0000 or even 000 steel wool can be found at Home Depot and is really cheap.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I wonder if WD-40 would work on it. Apply the liquid onto a rag and then start wiping away.

Just make sure if there is excess WD-40, that you wipe it off of the exhaust before you start up the car again.
WD-40 vaporizes quickly, its not going to catch fire from the exhaust heating up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts