8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are in MA and have switched to AMSOIL, can you please recommend a couple of places to get the oil change done - and how much it cost after you provide the oil?

I've been looking around all over the south Boston area and I cant seem to find a place thats willing to do it without charging me like $100, which I think is a ridiculous amount just to drain the oil and the new oil (which I have) put in.

Thanks.

·
Registered
508 Posts
have you done an engine oil change before? if you have, i suggest you do the mtf change yourself as well. go to autozone and look for a large syringe. they are for extracting and putting in oil and they go for like 5-10 dollars. you'll need two quarts of amsoil synthetic synchromesh. first thing is to unbolt the fill bolt. then unbolt the drain bolt. let it drain. then put the drain bolt back and suck up the new fluid with a syringe and put it in until the fluid starts to leak from the fill hole. once it starts to come out, put the fill bolt back and you are done.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm...but this would involve jacking up my car right? I dont have a jack, and I havent done a oil change before myself, so this is kinda new territory for me. If I dont have to jack up the car, I think I can give it a try. Thanks for the tip though.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
if you can find a way to shimmy underneath your car without jacking it (good luck!) then there is no need to jack it. also, you should have a jack in your trunk underneath the spare tire. check for it.

regardless, you should consider picking up some jack stands! you can get some 3,000 lbs certified stands at wal-mart for something like $20, and use them infinitely to change your own oil for the rest of your car's days.

if you have the jack in your trunk, you don't need jack stands, but i'd highly recommend them. you really aren't supposed to do any oil changes with the car supported on the jack alone. it's more of an emergency roadside jack for changing blown tires, etc.

changing the MTF is also incredibly easy. you can go the syringe route as explained above, or you can go the beer bong route -- buy a funnel and a 3-foot hose that connects to the funnel. there are two bolts that need to be removed, the fill bolt and the drain bolt. they differ in size. they are facing the driver's front wheel on the bottom of the transmission, near the back end of it. check through the DIY section of this forum for more details.

·
Hidy Ho Neighbor
29,707 Posts
I went to a Cottman shop. They charged me $25, and let me stand and talk with the tech the entire time while he did it. I got to see everything he did, and enjoyed the 20 minute conversation. My hands were clean afterwards, and I got what I needed.

I stopped crawling under cars 10 years ago.

·
Hidy Ho Neighbor
29,707 Posts
Was this in MA?
No, I'm in PA, and I know you are in MA.

I'm saying to contact a local transmission repair place like Cottman or Aamco (I don't know if they are in MA), and see what they say.

They might do it for an acceptable price, and get you in and out real quick. No muss no fuss.

I figure it doesn't hurt to ask anyway.

Good luck. :wavey:

·
Registered
767 Posts
i asked my honda dealer here in NJ about amsoil mtf and they said that it would not void my warranty and they had no problems doing it for me if i wanted. i bought the fluid already but have not had it put in because i do not have a single transmission issue. I will be putting it in when i change fluid thou. I also stopped crawling under cars a while ago.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.