8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I knew that the SI had a "thin paint" problem and I was ok with this...

What's wasn't ok was when I had to park in a parking lot last night, then when I come back there is some white paint from another car over my drivers side tire on the panel.

Is there an easy way to get this off without harming the lovely nighthawk black?

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Post a pic of it. I got my first door ding last night so I know how you feel.
If it is light enough use Meguiars body scrub or a light compound (I used Mothers wheel polish to get the paint off of mine but still have a good dent).

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
its not paint, its clearcoat

a fine hand polish will probably take it off with some elbow grease... then wax the area after you're done polishing

it should look perfect when you're done, so i wouldnt worry at all

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pictures!

Sorry it took forever to post these... I have been f'n busy!

cell phone for a little perspective

The flash makes it really bright... As I said, it's not much, BUT considering I got my first car payment bill in the mail today this really pissed me off! :eek:mg:

Any assistance/ideas would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Ouch. What in the world did that?
Is it just on the surface or is that in the paint.
You could try any of the above but I don't know about the rubbing alcohol thing.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
That's not what I was expecting. That looks like the car literally just drove against your car. Take it to a detailer and have them run a rotary on it. It should polish out perfectly. Or you can use stratch X with about 2 hours of elbow grease.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's not what I was expecting. That looks like the car literally just drove against your car. Take it to a detailer and have them run a rotary on it. It should polish out perfectly. Or you can use stratch X with about 2 hours of elbow grease.
Yeah I was totally confused by it... They must have pulled in at a perfect angle to just drive against it. There's a little white dot on the mirror too...

You think scratch X will work? I am down with a little elbow grease :thumb: I've never used it before, so I have no personal experience with it.

·
Registered
981 Posts
A similar thing happened to me about a month ago... (http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61029) it sucks... sorry to hear it happened to you.

Took me 2.5 hours with some Scratch Dr. and got all the paint from the other car off (pics on page 3), then a little touch up paint (see pic on last page).

Not perfect, but will do till I can justify a new rear HFP lip.

Hope you are able to get it all sorted, and you find out they haven't removed any of your paint (unlike on mine).

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
You could try polish and elbow grease. If it's really down to the panel you would need to use touch up paint or repaint it. Hope it comes out though.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A similar thing happened to me about a month ago... (http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61029) it sucks... sorry to hear it happened to you.

Took me 2.5 hours with some Scratch Dr. and got all the paint from the other car off (pics on page 3), then a little touch up paint (see pic on last page).

Not perfect, but will do till I can justify a new rear HFP lip.

Hope you are able to get it all sorted, and you find out they haven't removed any of your paint (unlike on mine).

Good luck!
Damn, sorry to hear you had that same feeling I did. That moment when you see the first damage on your car haha. Glad to see that you were able to repair it to a satisfactory level. I'd say you would really have to LOOK at it to see it. At a glance and you'd still say, "damn that's a nice car" :thumb:

I think mine may all be superficial and just the clear coat.... But I don't think I will know for sure until I get the clearcoat/paint off... I will buy some scratch DR ASAP and try it out. I will update when I can.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts