8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

I am looking at getting the AVIC-Z2 in dash nav unit from Pioneer and although I have done the search function on this was wondering if anyone knows the answer to these questions. I have a 2007 Civic EX coupe auto (no nav)

1. Can the unit record live music on the radio?
2. Can you add an HD radio receiver to it?
3. Can you use that pioneer adapter item (forget #) that allows us to use the steering wheel volume controls?
4. With the new stuff out, can we now install this and get full use of all of the factory speakers including the sub?
5. Do you need to have a GPS antenna attached to the unit or does it have it's own built in (like a tomtom). If you need to attach the antenna, where have people put it and kept it inside the car? Any pictures of this would be great!
6. For bluetooth, is the speaker in the unit or is there a microphone that needs to be attached somewhere in the car? How well is bluetooth working in your car?

Thank you in advance.

~Ryan
Phoenix, Arizona

·
Registered
302 Posts
1. I don't know, you will have to ask Pioneer.
2. It does not come with a HD tuner.
3. You can use the adapter to retain the stock steering wheel controls.
4. You can integrate the aftermarket unit with the stock amplifier. There is a DIY in section.
5. You will need to attach the GPS antenna. There is also a post on where to place it. It goes in the stock location where the factory GPS antenna would be if you got stock NAVI.
6. There is a microphone that you would have to place somewhere. I do not know how well it works, but would assume you need a newer phone with an updated bluetooth chipset.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i just called 1 of my frndz that wrks @ a car stereo n video shop, n i asked him about tha AVIC-Z2 .... he told me that its the newer version of the AVIC-Z1.... and all of pioneers new video recievers are not good... he says he's been having alot of ppl coming back w problems.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Take a look at the Kenwood DNX7100. It's navigation is made by Garmin and I'm going to get it when I have enough money. It's cheaper than the Z2 and works just as well...

It's also not a DVD based navigation system, which means that you don't need a disk to travel around.

The problem I've read about the Kenwood is that the main screen is cluttered or hard to figure our but thats for you to get used to in time I guess...

I also like the AVIC-D3 since it can do almost everything the $2,000 navigation systems can do.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone!
I will look for that post on where to place the antenna, and I wasn't aware of the Kenwood model....will check that out as well.

~Ryan

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Trendari said:
Hello:

I am looking at getting the AVIC-Z2 in dash nav unit from Pioneer and although I have done the search function on this was wondering if anyone knows the answer to these questions. I have a 2007 Civic EX coupe auto (no nav)

1. Can the unit record live music on the radio?
2. Can you add an HD radio receiver to it?
3. Can you use that pioneer adapter item (forget #) that allows us to use the steering wheel volume controls?
4. With the new stuff out, can we now install this and get full use of all of the factory speakers including the sub?
5. Do you need to have a GPS antenna attached to the unit or does it have it's own built in (like a tomtom). If you need to attach the antenna, where have people put it and kept it inside the car? Any pictures of this would be great!
6. For bluetooth, is the speaker in the unit or is there a microphone that needs to be attached somewhere in the car? How well is bluetooth working in your car?

Thank you in advance.

~Ryan
Phoenix, Arizona
1. No. Only records CD's
2. Not sure. I think its only XM and Sirius
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. I put my GPS antenna on a magnetic pad on top of my center console right under my windshield wipers.
6. I attached my mic on the top left corner of my windshield. The bluetooth is an accessory that is like 150 bux. The receiver will get an echo when they talk but there is a download to fix that. It is very easy to setup your phone to work with the bluetooth and you can answer the phone and even call people directly from the navi touchscreen. You can even call a business if they have a phone number provided by pressing one button.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
NUROTIK said:
i just called 1 of my frndz that wrks @ a car stereo n video shop, n i asked him about tha AVIC-Z2 .... he told me that its the newer version of the AVIC-Z1.... and all of pioneers new video recievers are not good... he says he's been having alot of ppl coming back w problems.
I've had my Z1 for over a year and have never had any problems with it. *knocks on wood*

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
I have a z1, but they are almost the same.

1. I don't think so. Only CD's.
2. I haven't seen anything about HD. Unlikely.
3. I think it is possible to get the steerin wheel radio controls to work. If you find out how, lemme know cuz I want it so bad.
4. Yes, it's possible. However you will lose control of the subwoofer bass output. It'll always be on, but you can't adjust the bass level of the subwoofer independently from the other speakers. My install guy had a hell of a time trying to find out how to get it to work like stock. According to him, it can't be done.
5. You have to wire it through to the back of the car. Inside is fine. I get great reception. It has to be mounted in a certain position though, so be careful there. Access to mine from the trunk underneath the rear decklid.
6. With or without bluetooth you will need to run a mic. There are voice activated options at your disposal to use. Very convenient when driving. Best place for it in the civic is up by the visor. Mine is just hanging out of the A-pillar. It's pretty small. There are clips to clip it onto the visor tho. I just don't have one.

Enjoy your unit. I know I do!

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
1. Can the unit record live music on the radio? No
2. Can you add an HD radio receiver to it? Don't know, get XM or Sirius, why pay for an HD tuner when all your going to be listening to is commercials?
3. Can you use that pioneer adapter item (forget #) that allows us to use the steering wheel volume controls? I'm planning on it in the future.
4. With the new stuff out, can we now install this and get full use of all of the factory speakers including the sub? Yes, I followed whiterices guide. My sub works. But you cannot controll the level, it's fine however.
5. Do you need to have a GPS antenna attached to the unit or does it have it's own built in (like a tomtom). If you need to attach the antenna, where have people put it and kept it inside the car? Any pictures of this would be great! Mine is in a little nook to the right of the glovebox, if you want a pic PM me.6. For bluetooth, is the speaker in the unit or is there a microphone that needs to be attached somewhere in the car? How well is bluetooth working in your car? There is a MIC but I have not hooked it up. I won't be unless my state passes a no cell phone law.

My opinion. I LOVE my Z2, it makes my buddys eclipse look like crap but it's starting to have the common freezing at startup problem. I called Pioneer support and they told me to mail it to them. "Just put it in a box with your reciept, return address, and a description of the problem and the tech's will look at it" WHAT?? No case number or anything?? What if I never get it back? There's no records whatsoever!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the response. Make sure you send it insured/signature required so you are notified when they receive it. You will have to pay for shipping probably but better protection I think.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Pioneer Avic-Z2...

i plan on getting the Pioneer Avic-Z2 unit for my civic.. ne1 w/ thoughts about on that? and my biggest concern is that i love my steering wheel control buttons and i would'nt want to give it up.. can i make the steering buttons work w/ the avic-z2? thanks..

tommy

·
Registered
638 Posts
i don't know if it works on the z2 but it should....i have a D1 and i used the PAC SWI-PS. All my wheel buttons work perfect, only thing is they're not as responsive as they were with the stock deck, but its much better than nothing.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
06si said:
1. No. Only records CD's
2. Not sure. I think its only XM and Sirius
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. I put my GPS antenna on a magnetic pad on top of my center console right under my windshield wipers.
6. I attached my mic on the top left corner of my windshield. The bluetooth is an accessory that is like 150 bux. The receiver will get an echo when they talk but there is a download to fix that. It is very easy to setup your phone to work with the bluetooth and you can answer the phone and even call people directly from the navi touchscreen. You can even call a business if they have a phone number provided by pressing one button.
wow you have completely swayyed me to buy the z2 now. that is next on my list and wheels have fell behind it!:dancing:

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
asdf0123 said:
wow you have completely swayyed me to buy the z2 now. that is next on my list and wheels have fell behind it!:dancing:
:thumb: you won't regret it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts