8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, my roomate and i (its good living with a EE) went out to the car and played with it till we figured it out. So here you guys go..

the colors are arbitrary for reference to pins only
Pin 1 (red): Right Channel Audio
Pin 2 (green) : Left Channel Audio
Pin 3 (black) : Audio Ground
Pin 4 : not used
Pin 5 (brown): Connect To Pin 6
Pin 6 (brown): Connect To Pin 5

It appears that you do not need to use a resistor between pin 6 and pin 5, we started off using one and it fell out, so we put a regular piece of solid core wire in and it worked just as well.

Update:

At the back of HU you will find the 20pin connector (second one from the right). The pins are ordered as following

There you go (the pin# in parenthesis is the pin# defined by ethlar post#1)
B3 = AUX SGND (3)
B4 = AUX SH GND (4??)
B5 = AUX GND (5)
B13 = AUX L (2)
B14 = AUX R (1)
B15 = AUX DET (6)

UPDATE:
Thanks to Chok for figuring this out, non US models that do not have the aux input option
Here you go

·
Premium Member
19,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i have pics of the wiring process as we hooked it up, we used solid core wires in the connectors, wrapped them around the connector, and then crimp connectors to a RCA-Mini jack cable from radioshack, we ran out of electrical tape and had to use duct tape to secure some of the wires.

the finished product:

brought the mini jack wire up behind the little cubbie and drilled a hole for it to come out the top of the little panel.

·
Premium Member
19,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
a cable like that would work, i dont think you need to spend the extra money on a monster cable that you are just going to hack up.

the wire has an inner stranded core inside a plastic tube with another stranded wire wrapped around the plastic tube. the outer one is the ground and the inner is the positive. connect the two grounds together and put them into the audio ground pin. red is usually right channel audio for rca but i would suggest checking before you hook everything up permenantly.

·
Premium Member
19,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
we initially thought it needed a resistor between 5 and 6, and with the resistor in the aux input worked but it fell out so we put a piece of wire in its place and it worked just as well. in the assembly pictures we used a small solid core junction for a bread board to link the two.

i dont actually have the honda part to check the resistance, we just did this by finding the grounds and a little bit of guess and check.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I was thinking about this mod, and I have thought about a improvement.

You should be using a RCA to Female Jack connector, connecting the AUX Port to the dashboard. This way, you could mount the female connector the the dash.

Whenever you need to use your AUX port, you could plug in any device using a standard Male to Male jack wire.

This would be a much cleaner install, since you wouldn't have to have a wire hanging out of your dash all the time.

1 - 20 of 163 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.