8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Oh, I'll get better pics later on...just wanted to snap a few pics. I've had them on since the 30th of October...no problems at all.

Install was super easy, did it in the garage with hand tools and no spring compressor. Took me about 3 hours.

The spring install is fool-proof. I can't see how anyone could do it wrong, I like how honda made the front coil wraps on the bottom and top and also those little plug things to line it all back up correctly. Freaking easy install!

Oh, the progress springs ride great, the spring rate isn't much more than stock, so it's not harsh at all...handling is the same, just lower.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nope, no camber kit...I know I probably should, but I hate the stock tires...lol. I'll see how long they last.

Oh, the progress springs ride great, the spring rate isn't much more than stock, so it's not harsh at all...handling is the same, just lower.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,322 Posts
Give it some time to settle & I'm sure more negative camber will show up. I'm sure you know this because you're not new to the mod game.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh yeah, I know. I'm sure I'll want a camber kit when I get new tires next year. I think I just want the stock ones to go out so I have an excuse to get new tires ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,322 Posts
I hear you on the OEM tires wanting to go, that's what I'm waiting for so I can upgrade to some 235's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
02civicsi said:
I hear you on the OEM tires wanting to go, that's what I'm waiting for so I can upgrade to some 235's.
on stockies? or you getting new wheels also?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,322 Posts
I got flat black 17x8 Motegi Traklites two weeks after purchasing my TW FA5. I had the dealer swap the OEM tires onto the Traklites. Funny thing is it took them over 2hrs for the tireswap because of the 1 inch increase in rimwidth. Needless to say they ended up using ether to set the bead on the wheels.:lildevil:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,322 Posts
I'm trying to decide on what supension I want to run. HFP, Mugen SS or the new Mugen Si suspension. IDK
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,283 Posts
02civicsi said:

I have the same wheels with 235/40/17 Kumho Escta. Is that an Earnhardt sticker on a civic? I thought civic owners couldn't like NASCAR. *whispers* I'm a cup fan too.

Anywhoo

Op, If you want to maximize handling of those springs, don't get a rear camber kit and just get four front camber bolts. Then max out negative front camber and positive front caster and 0 out the toe everywhere. That will get that thing too really turn. Right now, it looks like -1.75ish degrees camber in the rear. With that much rear camber and 0 front camber, the car is going to push more at the limit than a stock car would. So, you can get a rear camber kit (more money than a front kit) and not really improve handling or spend 70 bucks on four front camber bolts and turn that Si into a real canyon carver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,322 Posts
:rockwoot: 4ever a Fan of the Man!!!

I also have a Dale Earnhardt plate frame since the day I drove off the lot. I've had the plate frame on my two previous Hondas(EJ6 & EP3). Funny short story about the EP3. I told the salesman I would not drive off the lot in the new EP3 if they didn't put my plate frame on the car, of course they obliged. I did the same thing on the FA5. :biggrin:

So you're saying hell with the rear camber kit & just but two sets of camber bolts? When I installed a four corner camber kit on my old EP3 I always contemplated adding a second set of camber bolts for the fronts. Are there not OEM Honda front strut bolts that will allow one to adjust about + - 1.5 degrees of camber?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
02civicsi said:
I'm trying to decide on what supension I want to run. HFP, Mugen SS or the new Mugen Si suspension. IDK
yeah, the hfp doesn't drop it low enough for me...and neither does the mugen. But out of those, you may want to wait for the mugen si suspension....might be a tad cheaper than the other mugen ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sirbelch said:
I have the same wheels with 235/40/17 Kumho Escta. Is that an Earnhardt sticker on a civic? I thought civic owners couldn't like NASCAR. *whispers* I'm a cup fan too.

Anywhoo

Op, If you want to maximize handling of those springs, don't get a rear camber kit and just get four front camber bolts. Then max out negative front camber and positive front caster and 0 out the toe everywhere. That will get that thing too really turn. Right now, it looks like -1.75ish degrees camber in the rear. With that much rear camber and 0 front camber, the car is going to push more at the limit than a stock car would. So, you can get a rear camber kit (more money than a front kit) and not really improve handling or spend 70 bucks on four front camber bolts and turn that Si into a real canyon carver.
true, I did that with my ep3...damn thing turned so good...I was running around -2 degree up front on the ep3 with azenis tires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
02civicsi said:
:rockwoot: 4ever a Fan of the Man!!!

I also have a Dale Earnhardt plate frame since the day I drove off the lot. I've had the plate frame on my two previous Hondas(EJ6 & EP3). Funny short story about the EP3. I told the salesman I would not drive off the lot in the new EP3 if they didn't put my plate frame on the car, of course they obliged. I did the same thing on the FA5. :biggrin:

So you're saying hell with the rear camber kit & just but two sets of camber bolts? When I installed a four corner camber kit on my old EP3 I always contemplated adding a second set of camber bolts for the fronts. Are there not OEM Honda front strut bolts that will allow one to adjust about + - 1.5 degrees of camber?
I'm betting the bolts from the previous civics will work...that's what I used on the ep3. The bolts up front on the fa5 appear to be the same as the ep3 bolt (diameter wise)...I just got the bolts from the civic ex (05 model) when I had the ep3 to get the negative camber up front.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,283 Posts
02SilverSiHB said:
I'm betting the bolts from the previous civics will work...that's what I used on the ep3. The bolts up front on the fa5 appear to be the same as the ep3 bolt (diameter wise)...I just got the bolts from the civic ex (05 model) when I had the ep3 to get the negative camber up front.
The ep3 and 05 ex have the same suspension so the bolts are interchangeable were the FG/A's have a completely different suspension (a MUCH better one) so I don't think its going to work. But who knows until its tried.

So you're saying hell with the rear camber kit & just but two sets of camber bolts? When I installed a four corner camber kit on my old EP3 I always contemplated adding a second set of camber bolts for the fronts. Are there not OEM Honda front strut bolts that will allow one to adjust about + - 1.5 degrees of camber?
The most i've heard for negative front camber on stock Honda bolts is -0.75 degrees. 4 camber bolts (2 per side) will get you near -2 degrees. Since the front negative camber adds more front grip and the rear doesn't change, the car will 1. Stick better in the truns and 2. Rotate better because the balance of grip has been moved forward. Don't forget about maxing out front positvie caster too. That will increase straight line stability and increase front negative camber when turning which will cause even more front grip. If you want even better turn in, get a litte toe out in the front and toe out in the rear. Although the toe will eat the tires, the other two, camber and caster, won't really hurt the tires at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
02civicsi said:
:rockwoot: 4ever a Fan of the Man!!!

I also have a Dale Earnhardt plate frame since the day I drove off the lot. I've had the plate frame on my two previous Hondas(EJ6 & EP3). Funny short story about the EP3. I told the salesman I would not drive off the lot in the new EP3 if they didn't put my plate frame on the car, of course they obliged. I did the same thing on the FA5. :biggrin:
you like NASCAR???? why? please .. I want to understand your reasoning behind your appreciation for driving in circles. I'm curious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,283 Posts
SiFan4tic said:
you like NASCAR???? why? please .. I want to understand your reasoning behind your appreciation for driving in circles. I'm curious.

If you don't understand it now, you never will, so just let it go. If you are a true race fan, then you would like NASCAR on the sole basis that it is racing. If you are not, let the people that like it, like it. I watch it because its racing, and usually good racing at that. Who cares if they go around in circles. All the other froms of closed circuit racing go around in a circles, their circles are just drawn by a 3 year old. :biggrin:
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Top