8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not quite sure why they say anything above 5800k is extremely reflective in oem housing.

Look strait to me. I'd say it's their cheap cameras and camcorders that are exaggerating color scale and scattered light.

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
It's really no exaggeration. You're taking the picture from an angle where you're not even in the direct path of the headlights. Try taking the picture in front of the car where you're leveled with the headlights and you'll see what I mean. Also, there's no way you won't notice hot spots with around 6000K or more. I currently have 4300K and although technically there should be more hot spots, I don't notice them because the light is pure white. The hot spots should be really easy to spot once your light is more blue.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
It's really no exaggeration. You're taking the picture from an angle where you're not even in the direct path of the headlights. Try taking the picture in front of the car where you're leveled with the headlights and you'll see what I mean. Also, there's no way you won't notice hot spots with around 6000K or more. I currently have 4300K and although technically there should be more hot spots, I don't notice them because the light is pure white. The hot spots should be really easy to spot once your light is more blue.
x2 ...i had an hid kit on my ctr headlights on my hatch and it reflected like crazy and i had an 8k kit and 12k kit, both of them had people flashing me all the time!

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
shouldnt those be extremely purple at that temp
Technically, you're right. For the most part, 10,000K is getting to that purple stage. You have to factor in a series of things such as the manufacture of the bulbs since it varies, white balance of the camera and so on.

·
Banned
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
shouldnt those be extremely purple at that temp
Well this is pretty much why I'm posting it. That same picture with my 6000k and same manufacture was the same color. In a picture phone from up close you could kinda see the blue, but for the most part pure white.

Screw it... I'm getting a retro done.

·
Premium Member
22,779 Posts
keep in mind every1, different manufacturers have different takes on the Kelvin temp. scale. for example:

with my old Civic... i had 2 kits i recall vividly before getting rid of it for my Si. 1st kit was XTEC splice & dice @ 5000K. pretty blueish whiteish hue but LOTS of light on the road. kit was garbage & was failing horribly within a year or thereabouts. 2nd kit came & it was TechOne plug & play @ 6000K. 1000K difference in the color scale but just about the same if not a lil WHITER in color than the previous.

just goes to show you that HID kits aren't all built the same & ppl tend to put their OWN slant on what's what color based on the number from the Kelvin scale.

currently with my Si, i have 6000K Hella-branded HID plug & play kits in both my headlights & foglights. have had them MORE than 6 months' time now & never been highbeamed or told they are glare-y &/or blinding.

wish i had the money for a TSX retrofit but since i dont, this setup with do for now... :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.