8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Whats up all, Got my Black Si a few days ago and its going to get its first bath today. Is there any tips or anything I should know, Specific kind of car soap?, I went out yesterday and bought microfiber towles and a sponge. I know i cant wax it yet because the paint is still new/soft right? thanks

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Use only very little wash with a lot of water.
Use a clean mitt. I ended up buying a new wool one just for my car.
Work from the top down.
Try to stay in the shade.
Use gentle strokes.
Use the water to try to get the dirt/stains off, then scrub it with a finger (not NAIL) to get it off. This prevents you from pushing in the abrasive soap too hard, making swirlies.
Have fun. :D

Last but not least: PM RaskyR1 for tips!

·
Registered
307 Posts
1) I like to use a wash mitt or terry towel and use proper car wash soap.
**Don't use dish washing soap! It has harsh detergents that can strip wax
and damage paint.
2) Rinse the entire car with water to remove loose dirt.
3) Wash and rinse from top to bottom.
4) Rinse to carry away the dirt (straight hose, no head attachments).
5) Use a soft terry cloth towel or a high quality chamois. Keep these clean so
it won't scratch up your car the next wash.
6) Polish and Wax early spring and before winter.

That's what I do with my cars.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Treat it like a lady and don't just wash it make love to it.:lildevil:

Use a good sealant like Wolfgang, or wax like Pinnacle souveran wax.
I highly recommend to clay bar your car first.

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
RedLineSi said:
Whats up all, Got my Black Si a few days ago and its going to get its first bath today. Is there any tips or anything I should know, Specific kind of car soap?, I went out yesterday and bought microfiber towles and a sponge. I know i cant wax it yet because the paint is still new/soft right? thanks
Don't use a sponge. Dirt and small rocks can easily get trapped in it, causing your paint to have swirl marks. People are using microfiber mitts that are made of sheep skin to minimize this problem. Just keep in mind that no matter what you do, you'll get swirls eventually.

The paint is already baked and cured from the factory. You can clay bar and wax the car immediately. The only time you would wait a month or two is if it was just painted by a local body shop.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_detailing

:smile:

It's basically a pile of clay formulated to lift off debris from your car with the help of a lubricating agent. It's a good idea for cars to be barred after receiving it because it's generally very dirty from specs that won't just get washed off. It's also good for those hard water spots. :D

I generally clay bar every few months. You ever feel that rough paint? Claybar makes it smoother again by taking out all those contaminants!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts