8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
like the title says, here's a pic of the factory subwoofer of my EX coupe. From what I can tell, it's an 8" drive and a free air design that uses the entire trunk as an enclosure. It has a pretty big magnet on it but no ohm rating listed. I can't see the cone material either.

Factory Subwoofer

·
Registered
321 Posts
The question is, how does it sound? :D

Pretty cool, btw. So, is seated right in the middle between the 2 back speakers?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hmmm, wonder if it would sound better if a proper box was fitted around it...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took a little trip this weekend and I was surprised to find that the sub response tightened up with a trunk full of soft luggage. When I got home I stuffed the trunk with blankets and pillows and it made a pretty big difference. If you like your bass tight and "dead" sounding rather than boomy, try some foam or pillows in the trunk for a day or two and see what you think. Since the entire trunk is the enclosure, dynamat or similar deadening product might have a profound affect on the sound of the sub.

·
Banned
325 Posts
Im going to switch the sub out for something else, thats actually good for open air, maybe an ED 9kv.2 or a pioneer 8" open air.

But ya, dynamat or sound deadner works like a charm when your talking about this kind of sub, some thick stuffing or insulation around the sub might help too if your going to keep the stocker.

·
Registered
84 Posts
U should but some fill in that little plastic enclosure so that i sounds better. It looks basically like an aftermarket 6.5" speaker....

·
Registered
238 Posts
how does it sound though vs an aftermarket system.. how much base, how loud, general opinion..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After several weeks of driving my car, I'm generally very impressed with the factory system and the subwoofer. The system is plenty loud. The sub has broken in some and some of the boominess has firmed up. I've burned a ton of MP3's to CD's and it plays them all without a hiccup. I think you could certainly build a better system with aftermarket components for a couple grand but it's one of the better aftermarket systems you'll find and by far the best system ever in a civic.

Here's the things I don't like.
*AM/FM sensitivity isn't very good... it has a hard time reeling in distant stations. A booster might help.
*The front speaker grills look really cheap.
*The sub is a tad boomy for my taste but to be expected from a "free air" design. There are plenty of remedies for this.
*If you prefer a lot of midrange clarity (vocals, jazz, classical), then you would be wise to change the front speakers for better ones.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Could anyone take some more pics of the subs and amp for me? Thx.

·
Registered
45 Posts
watchdoc said:
*If you prefer a lot of midrange clarity (vocals, jazz, classical), then you would be wise to change the front speakers for better ones.
I have the EX sedan without the woofers, but with the tweeters. Though the bass is weak and not well defined, the mids and low-highs are very well-defined. They don't have those sparkly highs some tweeters have, but I'm hearing instruments and sounds I have not heard before on my mp3s. I think these speakers are very flat, and some people don't like flat speakers. Their advantage is there is no noise fatigue. I can listen at moderately high levels for three hours without "burning" my ears out.

That said, some day I will upgrade with either woofers, or better speakers in the rear to improve the bass.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Farage said:
is it true that the ex coupe has separate bass controls for the speakers and subwoofer?
yes thats true. my moms 06 tl has this too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
anyone hear a low rattling sound when blasting up the system? The car just recently started to rattle when I play loud bass and turn up the volume high, I found out the problem its the plastic on top of the speakers that are causing the low rattling sound, what I think I might do is open up the plastic covers and stuff a cloth or so in it to prevent it from shaking too much, and hopefully it stop that horrible rattling when playing my tunes.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts