8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

PIAA HID in aftermarket projectors

4K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Br3aker4lyfe 
#1 ·
I have the PIAA HID (6300K) installed in my car right now and I am thinking about getting the projector headlights with the three LEDs that run down next to the highbeams and the halos. Is anyone running a combination like this with no problems? I saw another set of projectors and it said in the description that you could swap out to an HID bulb but these didn't say.

#6 ·
Yes the actual headlight is the stock unit.

PIAA HID's?
Are you sure they are HIDs? because HID's need a ballast to power those bulbs up.
If you only have the bulbs, then they are just halogen bulbs.
Anyhow, if you do have a PIAA HID system, you will need to buy different bulbs because the projector setup uses H1 i think(not really sure). But i do know they have a different base than what our headlights use.
I have the bulbs, ballasts, ignitors, and relays. Six little boxes in total.

Either way, your bulb is going to be a 9006 and you'll need an H1 for the ebay projectors, so you'll need to buy a new bulb.

But lots of people run actual HIDs in those lights, I do in mine, and it even has a sticker on the back saying "NO HID!" ;)
Cool thats what I was wondering. So do you think since I have the 9006 bulbs and the pigtails are for that bulb, I could just buy the H1 bulb and wire in the correct connector to my harness or would I have to get an entirely different kit with different ballasts and what not.

#3 ·
PIAA HID's?
Are you sure they are HIDs? because HID's need a ballast to power those bulbs up.
If you only have the bulbs, then they are just halogen bulbs.
Anyhow, if you do have a PIAA HID system, you will need to buy different bulbs because the projector setup uses H1 i think(not really sure). But i do know they have a different base than what our headlights use.

#12 ·
Thanks for the props but I installed them myself so I don't have a shop to refer you to.

would like to see pics of this setup (cutoff and whatnot)
I am not to sure what cutoff is sorry. I think you are refering to the beam pattern but not to sure.

You can just buy the different HID bulb and hook it up to the existing ballast.
At least, you should be able to. That's how it works with DDM stuff.
Ya I was looking at a projector from a smashed car I am fixing at work and I figure the same. I just gotta get my autoparts buddy to hook it up. I think the worst thing that could happen is the bulbs go off like a bomb......no big deal. lol.

#16 · (Edited)
omg those blacked out ones look so hot.... better than ones I've seen with the ugly 3 leds on the side line up vertically. Theres pictures of people who have these. Atleast 5 members of the ocho have projector headlights made specifically for our 8th gen's.

Thanks man. I was thinking thats what you were gettin at but wanted to be sure. Mine are like the bottom one. I want the projectors because I feel the beam pattern is sloppy right now. I am happy with the brightness but not the way the lights is dispersed. I can still get a picture if you want though. Is the top one with the projectors your car? I like that.
sadly. no. I dont have projectors. mines the one with out it. the "burn spot" headlights hahah

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.