8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

181 - 200 of 293 Posts

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
The only Subaru I would drop would be the last gen Legacy BL & the wagon version because those were really sleek and classy shapes.

I think it's fine, but if you're looking for lowering options you won't find anything as trouble free and good compromise as the HFP for the Civic.. I'd rather go with a well thought out spring and shock combination but I don't think they make too many shocks for the whole 'preza lineup as of yet.. still

·
Registered
920 Posts
The STi dampers are supposedly notorious for not going well with lowering springs. I guess they blow fairly easily. But then again, they said the same thing about the dampers on an Si too and mine were fine for all 45k I had on my car.
I'd go with a full coilover setup myself.

·
Registered
429 Posts
hey chris, how's everything going with you? i didn't get my wrb sti :( they stopped making it and there wasn't any i the area with what i want....... sad day so i'm still happy with the si :)... your's is coming along nicely 1 wii bat for you

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
So I finally made some updates to the OP including the dyno sheet from when I had my turboback exhaust installed. Lower #s are the baseline (bone stock), the higher #s are the exhaust + 'stage 2' cobb map.

Im actually ditching the Cobb this weekend in favor of an OpenSource tune by BrenTuning, hopefully I see even better gains from that.

I also ordered some RallyArmor mud flaps and a v-limited front lip today, picking them up from the vendor tomorrow on my way through CT to visit my parents. Hoping to install them along with the SettingSaver I bought a few weeks ago.

If Im feeling daring, I might try to install my taillight overlways as well, but those take a ton of patience and a steady hand... which are not things that I have.

Also, heres 2 videos I took at my 1st Auto-X with the STI. Videos taken with a GoPro Hero HD camera. The suspension definitely needs some tweaking, but I'll likely hold off on that for a while, likey for the remainder of this Auto-X season to get more seat time under my belt and really hone in on my driving skills.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
OMG Phalanx your car sounds awesome. What exhaust are you running?

hey chris, how's everything going with you? i didn't get my wrb sti :( they stopped making it and there wasn't any i the area with what i want....... sad day so i'm still happy with the si :)... your's is coming along nicely 1 wii bat for you
They still make WRB it's a special edition STI.

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #187 (Edited)
OMG dude your car sounds awesome. What exhaust are you running?
Thanks

Maddad Essentials 3" turboback... its a prototype model. Currently the only person in the world with this exhaust, though it should be released soon.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Thanks

Maddad Essentials 3" turboback... its a prototype model. Currently the only person in the world with this exhaust
Lucky bastard.

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #189 (Edited)
Lucky bastard.
Spoke with the owner of Maddad the other day and it sounds like these exhausts are just about ready for full production.

Got my car tuned yesterday (Open Source) by BrenTuning. Extremely happy with the results... below is an excerpt from a post the tuner made on another forum. It should help clear up a couple things concerning the #s.

Stock car at 25k with nothing crazy on it other then 3" catted maddad prototype turboback, stock intake and 25k old filter etc.

Runs were done within 2 minutes of each other, on same strip of road. Only difference is we started the stock run sooner so the lines draw sooner. There are no low end losses.

Notes: stock map with a turboback, had a heavy flat spot between 3-4k rpms, pulled 2 degrees of timing globally - and peaked out at 16.25 pounds of boost. (map calls for 13.5-14 depending on rpm)

Tuned map at 20.5psi, 10.8 afr, and conservative advance. It made lots of power with the cam timing changes.

Large gains everywhere!

Stock vs. Tuned
This was my car... more than happy with Brens work. Im sure Ill be back soon. Already have my head spinning about where to go next, haha.

Heres the dyno pulls from when I got the turboback installed:

Things to note is that the above is the difference from bone stock to 3" tirboback + cobb stage 2 map, gains of 20whp and 70wtq.
With Brens tune, the baseline was the stock tune + 3" turboback vs 3" turboback+brentune, gains of 45whp and 70wtq

While the final numbers are roughly the same, keeping in mind that there are variences in the way data was gathered, its still safe to say that the overall gains from bone stock to 3" turboback+brentune are actually more than 40hp/70tq.... in otherwords, nothing but a nice big on my face
Just realized something.

Your graph says stock map and stock exhaust. Our delta was from exhaust + stock (higher delta then stock exhaust) to exhaust + tune.

With your exhaust I'd expect to pick up a good 25whp untuned, let alone the flow letting it peak 16.2 psi that the stock exhaust wouldn't do.
Thats exactly what I was trying to say with my previous post, haha. Even though the peak #s are similar, I know that the gains were more than that because we arent seeing the delta from stock+stock map to turboback+stock map.

Perfect example of why dynos are good to see what gains were made and where they were made and not for trying to actually read peak #s
I looked quickly at your graph and assumed it was tuned vs not tuned with exhaust on it. That means the delta is MUCH greater

·
Premium Member
37,357 Posts
Z not quite doin it for ya anymore? :dancingcoolsmiley:
Its not a case of the Z not doing it. I love my Z. But there are things that an WRX or STi can do and go to that the Z cant. The Z should be paid off by Christmas. Then the search begins for its boyfriend.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Z not quite doin it for ya anymore? :dancingcoolsmiley:
How much of a gain did it give you and i know it's a turbo back is it also with a catted up pipe/down pipe?

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
Its not a case of the Z not doing it. I love my Z. But there are things that an WRX or STi can do and go to that the Z cant. The Z should be paid off by Christmas. Then the search begins for its boyfriend.
nice! I love the sti, especially the hatchback. i fit so much crao in there, lol

How much of a gain did it give you and i know it's a turbo back is it also with a catted up pipe/down pipe?
how much of a gain did what get me? i picked up about 40whp/70wtq from a stock tune to my custom tune. How much I gained from stock exhaust to the turboback? I dont know.

The exhaust is full 3" turboback, that is, downpipe and catback. The downpipe has a high-flow cat on it

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
nice! I love the sti, especially the hatchback. i fit so much crao in there, lol

how much of a gain did what get me? i picked up about 40whp/70wtq from a stock tune to my custom tune. How much I gained from stock exhaust to the turboback? I dont know.

The exhaust is full 3" turboback, that is, downpipe and catback. The downpipe has a high-flow cat on it
The exhaust. Very nice numbers.

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
Wow! Good stuff Chris. When are you going to Epping? You ready for a showdown? lol..
Hoping to go up this wednesday, that is, assuming the Bruins can finally close-out the series tonight vs the Flyers. If not, game 6 will be wednesday and Ill be watching that.

Im ready for a showdown though, itll be interesting. I havent launched it yet. I also still have those DRs in my basement for you.

181 - 200 of 293 Posts