Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Aftermarket STS, bushings

Votes: 9 16.7%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
6,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How many of ya'll are using stock bushings, stock shifter?

I'm conducting research to see what is going on with the F-series civic line transmissions.

(Mods it would be cool if you stickied this so everyone can see and vote...)

·
Banned
6,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CaliGuy said:
Are you referring to the grind from 1-2 or 3rd grind?
Doesn't matter. People are starting to talk about 2nd gear grinds... When it starts is the most important, I don't care what MTF was changed to make it better, what mods were done, I just want to know how it was when it started.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
I the grind before and I still occasionally grind third with the TWM short shifter, TWM cable and base bushings. I mainly only grind when the car is either really cold, or I am not paying attention while shifting, or shifting quickly.

IMO its gonna be hard to tell for me and anyone whether or not the grinding is more common with the SS or bushing or completely stock, for a few reason. Mainly because for example in my case have now had the car longer with the SS and bushing setup than I did stock and I have become more familiar with my car and how to shift it vs. when I and everyoen first purchased their cars they might have been more prone to grinding because if inexperience.

I'm not saying if your familiar with the car and its transmission you can completely avoid grinding but I myself no that I experience the "Third gear wall" occasionally but catch myself before I let off the clutch and grind the gear and then fully depress the clutch again and push it all the way into 3rd gear, vs. someone who might not be as familiar with that feeling who would jsut let off the clutch and grind the gear.

·
Banned
6,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dt07Si said:
I the grind before and I still occasionally grind third with the TWM short shifter, TWM cable and base bushings. I mainly only grind when the car is either really cold, or I am not paying attention while shifting, or shifting quickly.

IMO its gonna be hard to tell for me and anyone whether or not the grinding is more common with the SS or bushing or completely stock, for a few reason. Mainly because for example in my case have now had the car longer with the SS and bushing setup than I did stock and I have become more familiar with my car and how to shift it vs. when I and everyoen first purchased their cars they might have been more prone to grinding because if inexperience.

I'm not saying if your familiar with the car and its transmission you can completely avoid grinding but I myself no that I experience the "Third gear wall" occasionally but catch myself before I let off the clutch and grind the gear and then fully depress the clutch again and push it all the way into 3rd gear, vs. someone who might not be as familiar with that feeling who would jsut let off the clutch and grind the gear.
Your missing that if a lot of cars are having the same issue that it has to be almost the same problem. I know a lot of this is probably poor treatment, poor shifting habits, poor driving habits (the bolded section at the bottom of my post...http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58770) But there is something in common with these damn transmissions and I will figure it out and it will be easier when I get mine and I can just disassemble it myself...

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I have ground 1st to 2nd pretty bad one time at like 1500 miles, but it might have been because I was trying to shift too fast. Now, I don't have a problem.....I just make sure I am a little slower and more deliberate, but still enough to chirp the tires. And I am stock.

·
Registered
38 Posts
100% stock Si

From day one I have had a problem with grinding 2nd gear while in vtec. I shift fast and have been told by the dealer to shift slower. As for 3rd, I hit a wall or gate that keeps it out of gear. If I leave the shifter there, as soon as I let the clutch out, it pops out with a violent BANG. I have been driving stick for over 19 years! (Mustangs 4 & 8 cyl, Accord LXI, Civic wagon, Prizm LSI, F-150) I have shifted fast with every one of them and never had a problem. Why is this car so temperamental? I say it's because of DBW. I hate DBW!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
07 Si FBP FA5 said:
From day one I have had a problem with grinding 2nd gear while in vtec. I shift fast and have been told by the dealer to shift slower. As for 3rd, I hit a wall or gate that keeps it out of gear. If I leave the shifter there, as soon as I let the clutch out, it pops out with a violent BANG. I have been driving stick for over 19 years! (Mustangs 4 & 8 cyl, Accord LXI, Civic wagon, Prizm LSI, F-150) I have shifted fast with every one of them and never had a problem. Why is this car so temperamental? I say it's because of DBW. I hate DBW!
:yeahthat:

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I grinded third the first day I had mine. I had been having trouble with third in my 2000 DX too, so I was all conflicted about it.

I pay very close attention to shifting now. I have noticed the notchiness depends on temp, humidity, RPMs, and even G forces.

The latter was a great surprise. I tested shifting 2nd to 3rd in a sharp curve a number of times and was able to replicate the notch on a cold tranny every time.

At WOT in 2nd, I'll shift between 3000 and 6000 and catch the notch. Letting the RPMs fall below 3000, the stick slips right in. Also, once I let up on the clutch about 1/2" and it slipped in.

Surprisingly, with the chilly weather here and the coming rain, my tranny has been well-behaved and butter smooth. Go figure...

·
Banned
6,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
nayilsi said:
i think kingmarine is trying to sue Honda.... without telling us.... and dont wanna share the treasure.
I don't even drive a Honda... However, I can use it as leverage to get HOA to make a TSB...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts