8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question but I have been using meguiars paste wax for a while. After waxing it leaves little white residue in every little crevice. I was wondering if liquid wax would be better to use. Should I use liquid wax? Does temperature matter? What is really good for black cars? thanks

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
i prefer liquid cause i use a RO to apply and it's very quick to make a tornado
mark on the pad while it spins down for the next app.

i think you're just using too much wax. paste or not you will get white residue
if you use too much. and temp does matter, meaning if you use your paste
in warmer temps you'll get more wax on the pad vs a colder day causing you
to probably over apply.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I've read that liquid lasts longer than paste (I don't know why). Personally, I think liquid is more manageable and leaves less white residue (paste leaves wax clumps if you're sloppy). My old favorite was Mothers works well and smells like cherries but now I like Meguiar's NXT -it looks great on my Nighthawk Black Pearl and Blue Ribbon Metallic (Toyota's version of Fiji Blue Pearl). Get yourself a double sided detail tool (I got it at my Toyota dealership), looks like a keyboard brush on one end (for sweeping crud out of the nooks and crannies) and the other a rubber tip (like a pointy finger tip) to rub the white wax residue out of seams. If you can't find one of these use Q-Tips and toothpicks to rub/scrape the wax out. If you're really careful you can use a really soft kid toothbrush instead (I wouldn't -too paranoid about scratches).

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
actually paste would last longer cause it contains less distillates to make it liquid (fluid).

liquid is easier to apply thin.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
Quick question but I have been using meguiars paste wax for a while. After waxing it leaves little white residue in every little crevice. I was wondering if liquid wax would be better to use. Should I use liquid wax? Does temperature matter? What is really good for black cars? thanks

If you want to be anal or have trouble controlling where you apply the wax, use blue painter's tape and mask off seams and areas you don't want waxed.

As for which type of wax to use, I have used both and have found to give good results. As Ken said, a liquid is easier to apply and remove. A paste is more difficult to apply, but probably lasts longer. I am a paste guy myself. Always have been. The only liquids I use is for sealants.

It is more important to find a high quality product and use good quality microfiber towels to remove the wax.

For black cars, since I have a black G35, I use Meguiar's #7 as a base. This is a show car glaze that hides scratches and swirls and gives tremendous depth to paint. I had a VW Scirocco painted by the legendary John Kosmosky of House of Kolor and he told me to use Meguiar's #7. I have done that ever since.

Next, I would use a good paint sealant such as Wolfgang, Natty's or Jet Seal. I would top it off with a good carnauba wax such as Natty's Blue, Meguiar's Gold Class or something I used on a friend's black WRX-Mother's Reflections top coat.

As for temperature, it is always better to use waxes when the temperature is warmer. If it is too cold outside, heat your garage up somehow an hour or so before you wax to get the temperature up. Do the car in the garage if the temp is too cold outside. I have done this for years.

Best wishes on shining up your baby. Post pics when you are done.

Reactions: mijc13

·
Registered
346 Posts
If you want to be anal or have trouble controlling where you apply the wax, use blue painter's tape and mask off seams and areas you don't want waxed.

As for which type of wax to use, I have used both and have found to give good results. As Ken said, a liquid is easier to apply and remove. A paste is more difficult to apply, but probably lasts longer. I am a paste guy myself. Always have been. The only liquids I use is for sealants.

It is more important to find a high quality product and use good quality microfiber towels to remove the wax.

For black cars, since I have a black G35, I use Meguiar's #7 as a base. This is a show car glaze that hides scratches and swirls and gives tremendous depth to paint. I had a VW Scirocco painted by the legendary John Kosmosky of House of Kolor and he told me to use Meguiar's #7. I have done that ever since.

Next, I would use a good paint sealant such as Wolfgang, Natty's or Jet Seal. I would top it off with a good carnauba wax such as Natty's Blue, Meguiar's Gold Class or something I used on a friend's black WRX-Mother's Reflections top coat.

As for temperature, it is always better to use waxes when the temperature is warmer. If it is too cold outside, heat your garage up somehow an hour or so before you wax to get the temperature up. Do the car in the garage if the temp is too cold outside. I have done this for years.

Best wishes on shining up your baby. Post pics when you are done.

Wow three different products huh? I just ordered some Jet Seal to use for the winter up here.... I was planning on only using a wax and the jet seal, but I will look into Meguiar's #7

·
Registered
728 Posts
Quick question but I have been using meguiars paste wax for a while. After waxing it leaves little white residue in every little crevice.
Which Meguiar's wax are you using? I use #26 and don't have problems with white residue, but I think it's a known issue with Gold Class. Also, as already stated, you might be applying it too thick.

Liquid wax is fine with me since I reapply another coat every few weeks, so longevity is moot. I wanna switch to a paste though, layered on top of a good sealant, just because that's what all the cool guys do.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
nitrousG35- looks good!

OT, but you might want to try OctaneGuy's BlackWow for the black
plastic skirts.

BlackWow lasts forever and will not be greasy to the touch like most
trim dressing. i use it on my cooper-s (arches) and it has been great.
I can even CalDust over them!!! :)

get it here:
http://www.showcardetailing.com/eshop/shopdisplayproducts.asp?search=yes&bc=no
Good info Ken. There is such a dizzying array of products out there, it is hard to keep up with all of them. I have tried many, many products and have decided to try and stick with the same stuff all the time. I have a small fortune invested just in waxes, polishes, sealants and detailing sprays.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info g35. Can you give me some more in depth steps to wax my car? I always thought after I washed my car, i would dry and then just rub on and then wax off. Didn't know about the rest of the stuff.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Good info Ken. There is such a dizzying array of products out there, it is hard to keep up with all of them. I have tried many, many products and have decided to try and stick with the same stuff all the time. I have a small fortune invested just in waxes, polishes, sealants and detailing sprays.
yep, just make sure you try this last one cause you will be surprised
how well it works. do you memember the UK guy that does those $5K+
detailing jobs? He bought a couple of bottles from OctaneGuy and
has been handing them out to his customers.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
Thanks for the info g35. Can you give me some more in depth steps to wax my car? I always thought after I washed my car, i would dry and then just rub on and then wax off. Didn't know about the rest of the stuff.
To be meticulous try to follow these steps:

1. Wash with a bucket that has a grit guard to prevent contaminants from scratching the paint. If you are really OCD, you can dip the mitt in another bucket of clean water before redipping in the soapy bucket. Also, use a good, quality shampoo and a sheepskin or microfiber washing mitt.

2. After the car has dried, which should be done with a waffle weave microfiber towel, proceed to the paint enhancement.

3. If your car has lots of swirls or small scratches, you will need a polishing compound. I personally like Griot's stuff, but Meguiar's has top notch stuff too in addition to Menzerna and 3M.

4. If you really want depth in your black paint, use Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze. Apply and wipe off using mf detailing towels.

5. Next, use a good paint sealant. I like Natty's EXP, Wolfgang or Jet Seal. If you want max protection, use Jet Seal. If you are going with shininess, use Wolfgang.

6. After that, wax the car with a good wax like Natty's Blue, Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba, Griot's Carnauba, PS 21, Zaino or Zymol or Prima or the like. So many products out there, really hard to say which one to use. It is your preference.

7. To finish it off, apply a layer of Mother's Reflection's Top Coat. VQ Power and I put some on a friend's black WRX and the results were stunning to say the least.

8. VQ Power and I have gotten into the habit of using a detailing spray after all is said and done to eliminate static electricity. Zaino, Chemical Guys and Mother's all make a good product.

As always, check the directions for each product when applying. Some require a waiting time while others can be taken off immediately. Additionally, you can use an orbital buffer. I have a Porter Cable and have different pads that I use depending on polish, wax and final buffing.

When you are done, you should have a show car quality paint job. Your arms will be sore, but your paint will shine and have depth like you have never seen before. You will be glad that you took the time to do so. Wax away bro!

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
yep, just make sure you try this last one cause you will be surprised
how well it works. do you memember the UK guy that does those $5K+
detailing jobs? He bought a couple of bottles from OctaneGuy and
has been handing them out to his customers.

Yeah Ken, I remember the guy who does that detailing from g35driver. Incredible what he can do to paint. I wish he would hand out a freebie to me! :thumb:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ive been using Poorboys Nattys blue paste wax but I prefer liquid waxes because IMO they are easier to work with.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts