8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Si has a chrome painted caliper. How hard is it to paint these? I would like to go with a red them agianst the black paint. Any help would be good. I have Bulldog paint adhesive. It is used to mate different compenents to paint. Thanks. :thumb:

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
Plasti-kote High Temp brake caliper paint from Pep Boys that costs $7.00 is known to be good for painting calipers.

Make sure you clean the entire calipers from brake dusts, oils and dirt. You can use Laquer thinner because it easily removes oil and dries up right away. Be careful not to touch your car's paint.

With masking tape and newspaper, cover the entire caliper surroundings to prevent over spray.
Tip: just be patient and make sure everything is pretty much covered and only the caliper is exposed. You don't want any paint spray going on the car obviously.

Then start painting...1 thin coat to start and let it dry for at least 5 mins. and spray another coat to complete.

a lot of people use 3 coats of paint to cover it thick enough and evenly.

After it's dry a good idea is to actually spray 2-3 coats of clearcoat on top of the paint. It'll keep that easier to clean and upkeep over the upcoming years.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good read. I will see the pep-boys in town. I hope the red accents well with the rims. Thanks, it is raining here, but will try the fronts tomorrow. :thumb:

·
Registered
245 Posts
webby said:
Plasti-kote High Temp brake caliper paint from Pep Boys that costs $7.00 is known to be good for painting calipers.

Make sure you clean the entire calipers from brake dusts, oils and dirt. You can use Laquer thinner because it easily removes oil and dries up right away. Be careful not to touch your car's paint.

With masking tape and newspaper, cover the entire caliper surroundings to prevent over spray.
Tip: just be patient and make sure everything is pretty much covered and only the caliper is exposed. You don't want any paint spray going on the car obviously.

Then start painting...1 thin coat to start and let it dry for at least 5 mins. and spray another coat to complete.

a lot of people use 3 coats of paint to cover it thick enough and evenly.

After it's dry a good idea is to actually spray 2-3 coats of clearcoat on top of the paint. It'll keep that easier to clean and upkeep over the upcoming years.
Excellent advice. I used a different caliper paint (I forgot the name) on my S4, but the process you described above works well.

Make sure you don't drive the car for a couple of days after the paints cures. Just being safe.....

·
Registered
518 Posts
i think painted looks good, like webby said as long as its done right-
Hey webby do they make a hightemp clear coat?

I hate it when i see a car that has orange calipers-
and u know it was orginally red...
lol

ANYONE ever try those kits they sell at autozone/pep boys it comes with paint, the caliper cleaner and a paint brush?
i guess you actually paint them on brush stroke by brush stroke?
I was going to do this to my current car, but never got around to it....

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
I've never looked for high temp clear. I've also never heard anyone complain about the clear actually. Usually it's the paint itself that is the problem - not using high temp paint. Really, the clear is to help seal the paint and make it easier to clean down the road. It isn't really even a MUST.

·
Registered
420 Posts
The only color I would paint stock calipers is black. And that would be to prevent rust. Stock calipers painted red? :xyxnervou

·
Registered
805 Posts
Aww, no way, any caliper would be fine if you paint it. You dont need the huge calipers to be able to paint them.

Im going to end up painting mine white... with the NBP, that'll pull some attention towards me a little....

·
Registered
370 Posts
GalaxyGreySi said:
I think painting rear drums is rice, but since we have all disk, it's not too bad... Agreed though, if you have a big brake kit, it's def. much better...
I've always painted drums before I replaced them. But it was always with black paint and the purpose was to keep them from rusting, not to show them off.

·
Premium Member
141,752 Posts
BlackSIguy said:
Aww, no way, any caliper would be fine if you paint it. You dont need the huge calipers to be able to paint them.

Im going to end up painting mine white... with the NBP, that'll pull some attention towards me a little....
That may show off brake dust quite a bit... Let us know how that works for you.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Whats wrong with red calipers?? People are getting too paranoid with this whole "RIce" ****... If you like it, then go for it.. people will always have their opinions, no matter what you do..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts