8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i just bought a si grille for my rr r18 coupe. my only problem is the grey lower portion of the grille. (yes i took off the si emblem) i am going for maybe a flat black to match the center portion of the rear hfp lip kit, and the lwer grill, fog light housing and headlight housing. should i sand before i paint? if so what grit? any particular paint brand better than the other? i was planning of picking up some duplicolor white primer, flat black color, and some clear from my local andvanced auto. should i sand afterwards? wetsand? thanks in advanced for all the help.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I painted mine a high gloss black to match my car. I didnt need to sand it or anything, i just used a white plastic primer and enough coats of high gloss black plastic paint to make it look good. After that i followed it up with about 2 or 3 coats of clear coat. Some tips though, paint in even light coats in an area free of airborne contaminents (i.e in my case dog hair). Also, leave the grille about 24-48 hours to dry, trust me on this one. Here are some pics on how it turned out! Good luck man.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
and i dont have access to a dremel, is there another way i can hack off the piece where the si was?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
ameuba10 said:
and i dont have access to a dremel, is there another way i can hack off the piece where the si was?
You can try to pull an exacto knife through it. Might take you a while but its really your only choice. If you have access to a heat gun or an oven id try to get it hot first and then pull it through the plastic holding it with pliers or somehting

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
ameuba10 said:
I had some douche bag rip mine off in a parking lot. I'm pretty sure you don't need any power tools! *shakes fist* haha.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts