8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok as some here know im putting in a computer. the body work is almost done :SHOCKED: and im going to be painting the dash habi... the problem is the heater controles...

i just ordered #2 from my dealer 5 min ago and it will be here next week.

the problem is that with the dash orangy the switches will look like ass gray, so i need to paint them too. im gewtting another can or spraybomb in my colour since i used my last one up on two intake covers.

the switches are ou may know are semi seethrough, the little white illistrations shine through so i need to mask them, i thought of taking a pic converting it to raster ans sending it to blu so he could make me little stickers, but there isnt really a good way to make then the right size... and since my paint is high in matalic ans perl i cant brush it...

maybe way drippings like a easter eg???, sprayable masking tape then cut it out???, just use masking tape???

I dont know, help please?!?. 20000 heads is better then one... ok half :thumb:

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry man but i have it stuck in my head to... i saw a GG painted and loved it. so its going to happen, i just need some help deciding how to paint the buttons, i only have one shot at it... no because im too cheap to buy more buttons but because i got the mast ones and now they are on factory backorder... meaning that its going to be another month...

At this point im not going for stock anymore, the 10" screen didnt really fit in the space provided but with trimming its going there...

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
why are you painting your dash?

because it will look good in the end..., not the whole dash, where the red is hilighted

this is rough, its come a long way since these pics...

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
What about painting them a translucent red? That way they'll still illuminate at night, and be more matching to your habi red. It won't be perfect (dark ass red) to your haby, but I wouldn't know what else to do.

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmmm, well i can replace all the light with brighter leds???

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i just got back from my car and .... they are soo tiny, there is going to be no way in hell that im hoing to mask them... i think that im going to have to abandon the backlight idea if the method that you sugested doesnt look good, but i will try it first...

alternitivly i might have to get the stickers made up and just clear over them...

·
Premium Member
9,414 Posts
because it will look good in the end..., not the whole dash, where the red is hilighted
i painted my dash like that in my focus and thought it looked good for about a month.. then i realized how horribly tacky it was.. im just trying to save you from probable future regret.
spray painting anything inside your car is very tacky and yeah ill say it.. Ricey

the computer sounds awesome though! i think that if you paint the dash pieces any color, it should just be black

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well so far i have bought anything that has to be painted so i can have it, paint it and install it, which means once dont i have all those pieces i can put back, and trust m i have thought of this and if i dont like it it only take about a day to replace all the pieces, scuff and paint everything. so its something that i will only know once its done.

the dash parts are all cheap as hell, for everything honda i bought i maybe spent $60... not bad... But i will buy a can of graphite gray from canadian tire which is a exact match to oem just incase your right and i hate it...

but trust me if you had seen how nice it looked you would do it too...

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
ok i have an idea. two years ago i made a silk painting for an art class. i stretched the silk out and i used dyes as the colors. but to keep the dyes from running into each other i used a wax or a block. you can pick some up at a craft store like michaels. you can get a thin brush and paint in the wax where you dont want paint and just peel it off when youre done. im not saying that itll be an easy task by no means. good luck

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^^^ thats what i ment by saythign the thing with the easter egg... where you apply wax to the egg, dipp apply more dip scrape off dip... i might try this first then if that doest work try a translucent paint with bright led's behind the covers, and if that doesnt work then im going to paint over them solid and just put stickers ontop to identify whats what...

ameuba, thanks for clarifying the wax thing for everyone... sometimes i get wraped up in my thoughts and get too agead of myself and dont make any sense...

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok... just to give you a idea.. this is a gg si with a 7' screen, painted dash.

im also painting the part under the speedo

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
went out with my tripod and snapped a few shots, this one is the best and clearest shot...

·
Registered
327 Posts
the grey looks good cause it matches everything in the car it just looks like he got the dash kit but im not sure how the red will look, in for pics

1 - 20 of 39 Posts