8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just rain, i want to know if rain/water goes through this tape. The reason im concerned is because i have a scratch on my door and i dont want it to rust up on this long trip to canada.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Is the scratch down to the metal? Because if its not I dont think it will start to rust. Painters tape is not going to hold up at all, I'd use touch up paint or good ol' duck tape.

·
Wegue Wegue
12,785 Posts
Before you put anything on a scratch that may go down to bare metal, I woudl suggest you dry it with a cloth, then apply some WD40 to make sure there is no moisture in that area, then put a covering on it (I usually apply a bit of grease) this makes sure there is no air or water, and therefore, when covered with tape, cannot 'fester' and produce rust. What's the sense of covering a scratch (if its to the metal) and trapping contaminants that may or may not make the problem more problematic.

Just my two cents, if it's not down to the metal, there are no worries.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Cr8tive_leo said:
Before you put anything on a scratch that may go down to bare metal, I woudl suggest you dry it with a cloth, then apply some WD40 to make sure there is no moisture in that area, then put a covering on it (I usually apply a bit of grease) this makes sure there is no air or water, and therefore, when covered with tape, cannot 'fester' and produce rust. What's the sense of covering a scratch (if its to the metal) and trapping contaminants that may or may not make the problem more problematic.

Just my two cents, if it's not down to the metal, there are no worries.

hows does wd40 help? im just curious because ive heard of that before and i was wondering if you could shed a little more indepth light. thanks for any info regarding this :wavey:

·
Registered
293 Posts
i would highly recommend ordering a touch-up pen from the dealer and filling in the scratch after you have cleaned it well. i had a decent scratch on my driver's side rear quarter panel down to the metal. the touch-up pen was only like eight bucks. you can't notice it now unless you know where to look.

·
Wegue Wegue
12,785 Posts
Si 07 said:
hows does wd40 help? im just curious because ive heard of that before and i was wondering if you could shed a little more indepth light. thanks for any info regarding this :wavey:
WD40 was designed to lubricate and remove moisture. WD40, Water Displacement formula 40. When the formulation of WD40 was created, it was the 40th attempt at the product.

It's Wikipedia too, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40

~Adrian

1 - 15 of 15 Posts