8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

To make this shortish. I had a pretty deep scratch on the front of my car next to the driver wheel and have no idea where it came from. So following the steps outlined in http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/detailing/131-great-diy-fixing-paint-scratches-etc.html, I attempted to do as shown. I'm no idiot, I'm not a noob to cars, but paint doesn't seem to be my forte.

So I took 600 grit waterproof sand paper and worked the area down to where the scratches were smooth to the touch and then proceeded to use my touchup paint to coat the area. I let it sit for a while, then took it out and took some 1500 grit sandpaper to it to smooth it out. while it's amazing smooth to the touch, it sure doesn't look right lol. I'm not wanting to touch it until someone can tell me what I've done wrong, and what I should attempt to remedy it.

For some reason, once it's dry, it looks "cloudy" almost, like a haze is over it, I don't understand why, when it's wet, it doesn't do this.

So whats up with that?

I then tried some polish/wax to make it look any better, big no to that.

The terrible glaze on the right is from the bright light I had shining on it.

Any ideas? If it makes any difference, I've only done 1 coat of the paint, but I didn't want to take it any further because it doesn't look right. You can tell where the 1500 grit sandpaper got to in the last photo.

Help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Duh! The surface is sanded! Even 3000 grit or 5000grit would look hazed. You need to polish that surface to restore the shine, and considering you used 600--->1500, there might be very little clear coat left, so compounding and polishing should be done with extreme care! Most likely you dont have a rotary polisher, not compound and pads, so this is best left with a pro.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Actually, I do have an oscillating buffer.

Should I apply clear coat on top of this? A brief outline of procedures would be a godsend.

Do i apply polish, then clear coat? or cleat coat then polish? What do i have to do?

The touch up paint from the factory has clear coat in it, I was told.

Thanks for any tips.

EDIT:
You're also right when you say that there is little to no clear coat, when rubbing any polish/wax over it, paint is left on the microfiber cloth.

So with that being said, I understand I need to buff it in a few steps, with the most abrasive compound first, then work my way to less abrasive. My question is, does the clear coat go on before the buffing, or after? I can't seem to find any clear answers online...

Edit 2:
Since everyone is so eager to assist, I decided to go trial and error a bit using small taped off sections.

It appears that the order is
1) Sand area down so that scratch is smooth.
2) If primer is needed, prime it with 2-3 coats.
3) Paint 1 layer, let it dry for ~30 minutes then sand it down smooth, try to not take off too much, then repeat this at LEAST once more, more is better, be sure to sand each coat. I found this out the hard way >_<
4) If you're like me, you're probably sanded most of your clear coat away, so I went to an auto parts store and bought some clear coat. I applied a layer of clear coat over the sanded out paint (even though it was hazy and cloudy) and it looks great, with the exception of the inperfections of applying by hand. I took a hair dryer to it for about 30 minutes with a few rotations with heat on, a few times over it without heat, and so on.
5) I then sanded the clear coat to desired smoothness (I left it almost completely smooth, but not quite so that my paint job would match with the flakes we have in the factory paint (vs having it look like a mirror). This took a while, used 2000 grit sand paper and water sanded it 10 seconds, then got down and looked at it dead on to compare to original paint until it was desirable.

6) Then I applied 3M rubbing compound with a rotary buffer, did 2 coats of that, exercising caution around edges.
7) I then applied polish using the buffer as well, once that was done, I took a MF cloth and rubbed the area down, and then I was done.

The finish looks pretty good. I'll tackle some other scratches I have on my hood tomorrow a bit easier since I have an idea of what I'm doing now.

Also, I stumbled across this link and thought it might help someone who was confused like me. http://autopia.org/forum/click-brag/70028-small-how-chip-repair-wetsanding-spring-cleaning-black-g35-56k-owie.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow, looks like you got straight up sideswiped in a parking lot. Gotta love the people who just drive off.

Anyways, all that is in the past and now it's time to touch that eyesore up. You're actually in luck because it's very easy for the average person to do... I know I was intimidated at first but I found this site which both sells the touchup paint and teaches you how to use it.

On the home page there's a video, watch it. If you think it looks easy enough, click "directions" on the left for the actual instructions. You might have to buy some sandpaper along with the paint but that's pretty much it. Let me know if you need any help with the project.

-EDIT: oops, look like I should've read your latest post saying that you were done the project - that was quick! sorry about that and I'd love to see the pics of the result

1 - 4 of 4 Posts