8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

141 - 160 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
I, uh, have a big scratch on the lefthand side of my car's lip. :pout: What happened was that I was trying to park my car in a parking lot that is really, really, really dark. So of course, like the [email protected]$$ that I am, I scraped the lip against a parking block (or square). I didn't know, nor did I see, that a block was there until I heard a scraping noise. :facepalm: Yeah I know right? What the heck was I thinking parking in a lot that's really dark? :shrug:

Now there's a white mark on my lip and I really don't want to pay too much to get it fixed. I've been looking through this thread for DIY tips on how I can fix it. But what do u guys think? Should I take it to a pro? Or just do it myself? I will post a picture soon.

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
Pictures will help. Is it a scratch or is it a mark. Meaning is the problem area dented (removed paint) or is it there added painted or what not to the clear coat. Sometimes I see that there is something on top of the paint is is pretty easy to remove.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes indeed a great write up. If removing light scratching and paint left on by another cars door, will compounding work? I was also told never to compound whole car unless the whole car was in bad shape, and that compounding is only necessary for the part of the car that is bad, Is this true?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had a really deep scratch on my rear bumper. It was a total of $25 to fix it. I went to the dealer and bought the touch up paint $8, applied it into the scratch. Sanded with 2000grit sand paper, I then used a clear coat and sanded as well. I picked up turtle wax polishing compound $5 and finished it off with a good polish and wax. Looks great, no pictures though :(

141 - 160 of 160 Posts