8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

101 - 120 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
cool thread! has anyone actually tried this on a paint chip? the DIY shows an example that seems very minor in comparison to the paint chip I have. Before and after pics would be nice for more "major" damage.

·
Registered
123 Posts
wow. I am about to take this attempt myself. But my case might be a little different...I have a stubborn looking dent as where in some angles, it looks slightly dented(it is almost like a folding look). I think a garbage man was carrying the garbage can and carelessly running it through my left side door leaving a verticle half inch scratch along with that same vertical tricky looking dent/Fold. The tricky part is that, when the sun hits that area, then it is virtually noticeable. what frustrates me is that u would have to go up close and spot it carefully to see the vertical dent or when the sun hits that area which almost leaves a dent shadow look from a distance.... the minor dent can be very noticeable at times a, do u think it will work on those kinda dents?

·
Registered
75 Posts
do u have to use water when I sand?
yes - it keeps the sandpaper from heating up, also keeps it from getting clogged up - if you dont use water you will sand too fast and unevenly. Water will make it way faster process and will help as sand paper lube, as well as aid in a better finish. Be sure to dry completely before applying paint.

got touch up paint today...have a chip on my hood right around the edge and has started to rust....anyone want to tell me the propper way to do this?
I planned to just tape right around it, said it down, put a dap of primer on , sand it, apply the touch up?
you have to remove the rust first - you can try using "naval jelly" rust remover, gets right in those tiny cracks you cant get in with sand paper. after you get everything clean and dry and all rust is gone, you can start painting, start with primer/sealer then sand, level, etc etc - be sure all rust is removed, if you leave even a little speck, it will come back sooner or later.

·
Registered
75 Posts
wow. I am about to take this attempt myself. But my case might be a little different...I have a stubborn looking dent as where in some angles, it looks slightly dented(it is almost like a folding look). I think a garbage man was carrying the garbage can and carelessly running it through my left side door leaving a verticle half inch scratch along with that same vertical tricky looking dent/Fold. The tricky part is that, when the sun hits that area, then it is virtually noticeable. what frustrates me is that u would have to go up close and spot it carefully to see the vertical dent or when the sun hits that area which almost leaves a dent shadow look from a distance.... the minor dent can be very noticeable at times a, do u think it will work on those kinda dents?
if there's no paint missing, dont paint on top of paint. you need to get the dent removed is your solution. use a suction cup puller or those ding king kits work pretty good - and only about $25

·
Registered
26 Posts
great DIY, but i hit a snag that hopefully someone on here can help me with! i was sanding down the paint with 1500 grit, but the area around the initial chip became kind of cloudy from the sanding. i'm kinda stuck as to what i do now, do i just polish it out?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Good how to :clapping:

I just had to fix a 6" scratch on my c-pillar because of a runaway grocery cart :cornmad: I had never attempted a fill and sand repair, it was helpful to know it was OK on this horrendously soft paint. It's not 100%, but it is certainly better than nothing or just using the touch up paint.

I didn't use the kit, all you really need is:
- touch up paint
- 1000 grit wet/dry
- rubbing compound
- Scratch X (probably optional)
- Wax

I kept the hose running while I sanded. I then removed the "cloud" that was left behind with regular 3M rubbing compound and then hit the area with scratch X. That may be the same thing but I figured Scratch X was probably slightly less abrasive than rubbing compound (based on 0 fact, lol). Hit with some wax afterward.

The Honda NHBP touch up doesn't seem to match the paint perfectly, but everything is nice and smooth. I doubt it would be noticed by anyone who didn't know.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
im wondering how im gonna use the toothpick on my small car ding dimple..
I think you might need to 'pop a dent' from a professional for the ding...and then use the toothpick method.....

I usually fill up all the scratches with the toothpick before winter to prevent rust and then do the other steps in the summer.......

·
Registered
14 Posts
i can reach the dent from mytrunk...its right behind the carpet but somehow i cant push it out..its like..the dimple/ding isnt far enough where i can push anything...the metal in the back feels smooth..is that possible?

·
Registered
36 Posts
ok, so I have a 2008 fiji blue si coupe, and about a few weeks ago I left it in a parking lot and when I returned they had stolen the JDM red emblems (front & back). I am not sure if I want to buy it again... to those of you that have the JDM emblem, has this happened, is it common?
so tell me your thoughts, these are my 3 options: 1. put the JDM red emblem again, 2.put the original emblem (silver) 3. de-badge my car
Also, any good sites to buy the JDM badges? I have this site: JDM FA5 FG2 Civic 06-08 Si Coupe/Sedan Front and Rear H Red H Combo
if there's a better one let me know!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
so like i bought the factory touch up paint..and guess what..not surprisngly...the paint does not even match the car color...its like lighter...great..ill jus buy some honda decal and slap right over it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I will be doing this for sure after the shop where I got my windows tinted, demolished my drivers side door + rear 1/4 panel.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
think this would work with a deeper scratch on plastic? my rear bumper has a nice little knick in it from a shopping cart that some lazy bum was too stupid to put away.

·
Registered
7,755 Posts
Hey, I got a question. My Si is Galaxy Gray and I had a deep chip on my hood. So I ordered touch-up paint from Honda. Same color code as what is says inside my door. So, I cleaned it out and everything. Then I applied the touch-up paint. But the problem now is, not only is it above OEM level, the paint doesn't match. It's like, a dark silver-ish color. How do I get the color to match ? I'll try to take a picture tomorrow morning and post it up.

OR, how can I remove the touch-up paint that I applied so I can have a professional do it ?

101 - 120 of 160 Posts