8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After washing my car I noticed I have a paint chip on the edge of my hood (shes only 5 months old :( ). Its about half the size of an eraser tip and has already started to rust. It sort of wraps around to the underside of the hood.

My question is: Is there a different way you need to approach these chips that are on edges? I haven't been able to find a DIY for an edge chip.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
My question is: Is there a different way you need to approach these chips that are on edges? I haven't been able to find a DIY for an edge chip.
I'd say no. The paint is thinner on the edge. Just get the rust off and put some touch up on it.

Otherwise, the paint is utter crap and know it will just get progressively worse over time. You could get a clear bra. However, keep it mind this only protects certain areas and other parts of the car will still gets scratches/chips.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
haha i had that same thing happen to me too. I purchased a leather bra from honda, but before i put that on, i cleaned out the rust, and touch up paint. Never knew it was there now.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
same here. stupid quality paint. after i removed the chip, which was hanging there, i could see the bare metal without any base or primer in sight. i simply put some touch up paint to cover it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i just touched up mine with the scratch paint touch up you find at autozone...works like a charms for the edge of the hood

·
Registered
409 Posts
From here:

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/civi...uality-screw-rocks-screw-me-not-avoiding.html

"same exact thing happened to my Si...big ole paint chip right on the edge of the hood...

i bought some touch up paint at the dealer (about $10), used the brush it came with just to dab a small drop onto the chip, make sure you clean the chip thoroughly!!! then let it dry for a half hour (the paint will actually "shrink", meaning the drop you just put on will be much smaller when it fully dries). You will repeat this process a few times, the trick is to go SLOW and do NOT be impatient.

ALSO, the real trick i used that no one else I have read on forums has done is, on the very last application put a piece of clear tape (like the small tape dispenser tape, not packing tape) completely over the chip and fold it down over the edge of the hood so the paint will dry nice and flush with the rest of the paint. Put the tape over the paint about 5-10 minutes AFTER you applied it so that the paint isn't too wet or too dry (the paint is actually a little malleable after a few minutes and you can "move" it around a little in the chip). When you remove the tape (give it about an hour or so) the tape will come off clean with no paint residue at all and the new paint will be nice and flush and shiny! Good Luck!"

·
Registered
164 Posts
Also buy a small bottle of CLEAR COAT. It should be the same size as a touch paint bottle. You can get this from AUTO ZONE. If you don't apply clear coat the paint will eventually come off.

P.S. let the paint dry for 24 hr before you apply clear coat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts