8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey yall, pretty new to the site (been creepin around a bit). i just got my hfp lip kit delivered today and looking to get it put on. i know theres a lot of diy on the lips but a lot of ppl seem to have problems with gaps.

i would at least try to do it myself but i have a bunch of nasty scrapes on the back passenger side bumper and the back lip covers about 90% of them but theres a bit scraped down to the black plastic above where the lip ends.

i went out to the honda shop in bayers lake but the guy (wont name him) said that if they do a cover up on the whole corner it will peel from the clear coat or somethign like that. worst part is they want over $500 to fix the corner which they said wont come out great and to put the kit on which they say will probably come undone after the winter.

i understand nothing is perfect when it comes to body work cover ups but i think they just gave me a BS estimate because i didn't buy the kit from Colonial. they talked down to me and gave dirty looks and were rude pretty much the whole time. it just pissed me off. also, he noticed i have lowering springs and he called the warranty center (about my busted door lock) but made a point to tell them i have lowering springs. so great, my honda plus extended warrenty is now void. awesome! best extra $900 i threw away lately!

and by the way, PM me for details on $600 OEM HFP lip kits, i got a good deal from a guy in toronto who has a few left. i think since i told the guy at the body shop where i got my kit they were being jerks because the honda parts venter wants over $1900 plus tax for the kit!

anyway, what i'm trying to ask is if anyone knows of a body or paint shop that does good work for a FAIR price in halifax or anywhere fairly close? i don't care about cost, as long as the shop will do it right!
Sorry for the rant!

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
i never got that kind of reponse from colonial collision, but i do know they hate that kit lol i think to get the corner on my lx fixed was around $700-$800 from coach works so $500 is not bad at all.

as for your warranty you can get it refunded if you never used it yet. but the only thing that you voided on your warranty is your suspension and also if you damage anything from being that low.

try overall in dartmouth right around the dartmouth hospital. they do pretty good work and don't charge an arm and a leg.

i do know that if you do install the kit, you have to do A LOT of prep work, or the kit will just end up peeling off. It's not that hard of an install, just takes time.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks man, i'm going out to hot shots in burnside today, heard they do a lot of custom work so this shouldn't be a problem for them. might jsut suck it up and pay to have the whole bumper re-done and then install the kit over it. prob also gunna check out overall too because i want to check global autoglass to look into tinting all 5 windows (i know its illegal). metro collision has put these kits on before and they will do the whole thing and fix the back bumper for $611. i would really like to do it myself, would be a good weekend project but i only hvae the trunk jack and i dont have the proper prep stuff or even a drill so DIY isn't practical for me now.

anyone get window tint and have a good job done covering that dot matrix line? i hate the clear border look that you see on a lot of cars around town

·
Registered
926 Posts
hey yall, pretty new to the site (been creepin around a bit). i just got my hfp lip kit delivered today and looking to get it put on. i know theres a lot of diy on the lips but a lot of ppl seem to have problems with gaps.

i would at least try to do it myself but i have a bunch of nasty scrapes on the back passenger side bumper and the back lip covers about 90% of them but theres a bit scraped down to the black plastic above where the lip ends.

i went out to the honda shop in bayers lake but the guy (wont name him) said that if they do a cover up on the whole corner it will peel from the clear coat or somethign like that. worst part is they want over $500 to fix the corner which they said wont come out great and to put the kit on which they say will probably come undone after the winter.

i understand nothing is perfect when it comes to body work cover ups but i think they just gave me a BS estimate because i didn't buy the kit from Colonial. they talked down to me and gave dirty looks and were rude pretty much the whole time. it just pissed me off. also, he noticed i have lowering springs and he called the warranty center (about my busted door lock) but made a point to tell them i have lowering springs. so great, my honda plus extended warrenty is now void. awesome! best extra $900 i threw away lately!

and by the way, PM me for details on $600 OEM HFP lip kits, i got a good deal from a guy in toronto who has a few left. i think since i told the guy at the body shop where i got my kit they were being jerks because the honda parts venter wants over $1900 plus tax for the kit!

anyway, what i'm trying to ask is if anyone knows of a body or paint shop that does good work for a FAIR price in halifax or anywhere fairly close? i don't care about cost, as long as the shop will do it right!
Sorry for the rant!

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/dealership-experience/58293-magnuson-moss-warranty-act.html

Pretty sure lowering springs don't have ANY functional impact or relation to your door lock, unless he knows something I don't. Go back and tell him how it is.

P.S. - Hey "colonialsales" you should show threads like this to your co-workers and let them know the bad rap they're getting on here about stupid things like this. I'm sure they'd be surprised how many people are reading the tales of their douchebaggery.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was just out talking to todd, hes a much better person to deal with. still, to blend my bumper and install the kit with double sided tape only they still want about 500 and that doesn't include coverig the rocker gauge i have. plus they told me the kit prob won't take to the car and the clear coat will cause the blend job to all peel off!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just got back home from hot shots in burnside and they are repainting my whole back bumper, fixing and filling the gauge and huge scratch (entire driver door length) plus fixing key scratches by the door handle and popping out several door dings ANND installing the kit with some bonding compound instead of the tape all for $700 cash with a gurantee in writing that the kit won't budge for 3 years. and in addition got me 50% window tinting with dot matrix covering (new secret method apparently) lol also with 5 year warranty from superior on windmill (also very cool guys workin there). best part is the guy from superior is going up to hot shots while my car is being worked on to install the tint so that i will have everything done next wednesday!

i guess it helps i work at the Olands brewery and offered them all free beer lol... they are all HUGE Schooner fans and are pumped to "re-mint" my car for me lol

anybody who wants body work done, i highly suggest talking to the guys at hot shots. they have a great portfolio and rep, they tell you how it really is and they drink enough beer to keep me getting over time lol

in my personal opinion, don't go to honda for anything you don't have too. haven't we given them enough money for these stupid services like the type b services and **** like that? plus, as we all know, there are few quality custom shops in nova scotia so why not get better work done for a better price and help support local shops?

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
good to see your getting the best work for the cheapest price. my gf's got some door dings on it so i might just go check them out, seems like a good deal. as for the tint, there's nothing new about the dot matrix cover up i've had mine done for 2 years now. shouldn't be able to see any dots after there done.

as for todd, he's a great guy to deal with, but they are pretty pricey, good for warranty or maybe insurance, but to pay out of pocket kinda hurts.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hes really only cutting me a deal on body work because i was there last year and mentioned i can get them free beer lol i dunno if they normally do dings and stuff, they do a lot of custom work mostly but i'm sure if you went and talked to them they would still pop em out for her for a bit of cash

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nice tint job, i hate seeing the clear line around peoples windows. what % is that? i'm tempted to get the front 2 windows done too because buddy will do all 5 for a very low price but the fine for having them done is almost double what i would pay to get it put on

·
Registered
32 Posts
I went to Hot Shots twice. I had my car keyed, driver's side. They repainted that whole side and did a perfect job. Less then a week after getting my car back I got cut off bad by a moving truck and rubbed a guardrail, front bumper passenger side. They fixed the bumper and did another wonderful job. I recommend them any day.

I had one of my HID's bulbs die on me. Anyone know where I can get a new HID bulb for a good price? 10000K. Since I have my bumper off, has anyone tried to clear their headlights (remove the orange lens) using the oven method?

·
Registered
6,449 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
finally getting my lip kit on tomorrow! good bye ugly ass scratches!!!! gunna miss my car the next 2 days tho

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
what about the grill? you mean swap off the wing lookin thing? haha dunno what else to call it. its an off blue ish color now, u mean get a body matched one? i don't really like the grill style of the 09s and 10s personally.

·
Registered
6,449 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
just got back home from hot shots in burnside and they are repainting my whole back bumper, fixing and filling the gauge and huge scratch (entire driver door length) plus fixing key scratches by the door handle and popping out several door dings ANND installing the kit with some bonding compound instead of the tape all for $700 cash with a gurantee in writing that the kit won't budge for 3 years. and in addition got me 50% window tinting with dot matrix covering (new secret method apparently)
wtf...$700 for all of that. Crazy.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts