8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I'm so so so so sorry that i didn't get the SI, i was thinking to try to change my EX from A/T to M/T, but i knew even before i read around that it will be a pain.

My question is now, how difficult would it be to put paddleshifters in my EX?

I'm thinking that i could somehow force the ECU to command a gear shift, and that would be all.

Thanks,

·
Banned
14,725 Posts
lol. this is one of those threads that will inevitably be a "you should have gotten the SI"...go and trade your car in for it, becasue the amount of time and money to do such a thing will most likely not be worth it.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
go find a tl-s in a junkyard and yank the paddle shifters out haha... gl putting them in and making them work, ive never heard of that being done b4

·
Banned
1,722 Posts
to get TRUE paddleshifters. you couldnt afford the conversion. to get a cheap autostick knock off. i dont even know if it would be worth it to try.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Why do you want paddle shifters anyways? I don't see too much benefit. It's not going to make the car any faster unless you incorporate a completely different type of transmission IE: Mitsu's CVT. Then you might as well just get the 5 speed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NIGHTHAWKSI said:
a lancer is not a porsche. its a mitsubishi. lol
Come on man, do you really think i don't know the difference between a lancer and a porche?

Anyway, i was thinking that the guys in Hondata could help me, unfortunately they're doing a show next week so i'll have to wait.

I've been reading more on the Honda iShift. Apparently it's not what i want to build, but it's an "automatic manual transmission". It has clutch and everything, just that it engages/disengages mechanically and it also does the double clutching for you (using the drive by wire). There were some guys saying that it takes it a long time to shift, definitely a lot more than manual, but just a little less than automatic.

·
Banned
1,722 Posts
nothing shifts faster than an automatic transmission. just fyi.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Nathen said:
nothing shifts faster than an automatic transmission. just fyi.
Maybe, but my experience with the Charger wasn't so great. It was taking the thing 1-2 seconds to change the gears. i can't imagine why.
Same thing with my Civic. If i start in 1, go up to 5000, then pushing it into 2nd, it takes him 1 sec to shift.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Eh, whatever floats your boat man.. I'd rather shift 1-2 seconds earlier to compensate for the lag like everyone else than spend thousands of dollars to have faster shift times.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Most Automatics do not shift as fast as a good manual transmission driver. Unless you have a dual clutch however... :dancing:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts