8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was chopping a jalepeno for some chip dip and an hour later my fingers feel like they're on FIRE from the capsacin! I've tried washing my hands, soaking them in milk, applying lotion and using hand sanitizer.

Does anyone have any other recommendations for relief?? I looked online and the only other thing I see is trying vegetable oil or bleach -- neither of which I have.

My hand feels like it's on FIRE! Owwwwwwwwwwww.

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
Maybe vinegor might help, or milk?

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
I know this sounds bad, but what about urine? Works for jellyfish stings...

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
This is usually where the guy tries to be charming and say, "C'mere, I'll kiss those pains away".

...However, not only is that corny, but, really, I don't like jalapenos all that much.

Aloe vera would be my guess about trying to relieve your pain. I did sorta the same thing once....had one of those super hot sauces, added them to my soup, then my eye itched......

...needless to say, everyone thought I was infected with red eye, and it hurt to open up my peepers.

·
Premium Member
30,957 Posts
just an idea heard it work to removes slivers but could give it a try
soak a peice of bread in water for like 30 secs or so just to the point the bread is soogy and wrap it around your finger

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
It should slowly go away even if you don't do anything about it. However if you are adventurous you could soak your hands in milk, because molecularly it attracts capsaicin in it's pure form.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
pkkid said:
It should slowly go away even if you don't do anything about it. However if you are adventurous you could soak your hands in milk, because molecularly it attracts capsaicin in it's pure form.
That is the most educated answer I've gotten so far. Thank you! Unfortunately, I've had my hand soaking in milk for half an hour and it didn't help. :sadwavy:

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
Ok here are my two best suggestions.

One would be to soak your hand in a mixture of water and vinegar. This usually helps dissipate some of the pain from any kind of a burn, be it chemical or physical.

Another would be fluoride toothpaste.. I know it sounds weird, but if you apply a thick coating of that around the skin, it really soothes down the inflammation.

Good luck.. burns suck.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, it's been about 6 hours since it started...

The pain has dissapated mostly, but it still kinda hurts to do things with the hand (like type!), but it's a lot better.

I guess the best treatment is just time if you can bear it!

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
i remember when I ate a jalapeño for the first time. I ran my lips under water and put milk on them for like 45 mins and it still burned soooo bad. It finally went away after awhile, but it sucked while it was burning.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts