8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I get back into Albuquerque last night, where my boosted baby is parked (I drive a '99 Accord when I am in school - keeps me out of trouble). I get in, start her up. Man did I miss the sound of that AJP 3". Anyway, I am nice and easy on her because it is cold outside, but then I decide to gun it in third gear getting on the freeway, and it scared the living daylights out of me. I smoked the tires in third gear and damn near spun out. This car has never been able to fry the tires in 3rd just by rolling on the throttle. Something is wrong. I shift into 4th, and slam on the gas again, paying particular attention to the gauges this time. Whoooosh, I am thrown back into the seat; a few seconds later the boost gauge reads 16 psi, and the wideband goes into the lean red zone, indicating >17:1 AFR. The fun is OVER as I IMMEDIATELY let off the gas and pray that I didn't break anything. But, wideband and boost gauges saved my butt yesterday. I didn't blow a motor, and she still runs good. Pulls a nice 20 in/Hg at idle still, so I don't think I hurt her. Today, I need to diagnose WTF is wrong with the car though. I am going to start by checking the vacuum line that runs to the wastegate, but I will let you guys know what I find.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Cold weather bro defintly makes more boost and the tune isn't programed for the boost that can play a major roll good to hear it runs ok

·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It may have been a guy at the car wash for all I know. I hardly ever see the car, and I know for a fact that my dad drives it sometimes. He might have been showing it off to one of his friends and he saw that MBC and just couldn't resist. Who knows. I cranked it all the way shut for now - boosts 6-7 psi at WOT, but it feels kinda weak. I need to get ahold of my tuner now to see if he remembers the exact setting. If not, I guess I get to do a bunch of freeway pulls, playing with the MBC until the AFR is just right again. Then I am gonna glue that freaking knob in position.

·
Purpul Plane 4ever!
40,686 Posts
take all the keys with you at all times, lol.

Maybe install one of those laptop lock line security alarms on your hood. Once it opens too much the alarm goes of, lol.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
You should invest in an EBC. Or cut the boost controller outta the equation til you are ready to tune at a higher psi. Just run off the waste gate:) Might help keep people from messin' with it.

I've got an EBC, but I very rarely turn it on. I just let the waste gate spring take care of it.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.